• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is the stock droid x enough?

im no expert but you definately wont regret buying a DX. i loved mine when i had 2.1. the only reason i rooted and upgraded was because i dont like being told i cant have. if you root you can get a free wifi hotspot app. trust me, the phone worked great before. its just better now. theres plenty to do with 2.1. i was busy for a month with it. i paid for atk and uninstalled it. more than quadrupled (sp) my battery life. but i also made several other tweeks. i get about 2 days now. been downloading non stop for 24 hours now and im still going. ive never had any of the problems with my texts or shut offs your talking about. put it like this. my girlfriend bought for me as a birthday present. she hates it now. im obsessed with my phone. trust me. if you have any problems with it then come here. plenty of people to help you out.

Upvote 0
Honestly, 2.1 and 2.2 aren't much different. I have the Incredible with 2.2, and it's not this humongous upgrade over 2.1. I've rooted my X, but unrooted because I had no real reason to be rooted. I'm OK waiting for the official release of 2.2 for the X. It seems the leaked versions all have quite a few bugs.

Upvote 0
Honestly, 2.1 and 2.2 aren't much different. I have the Incredible with 2.2, and it's not this humongous upgrade over 2.1. I've rooted my X, but unrooted because I had no real reason to be rooted. I'm OK waiting for the official release of 2.2 for the X. It seems the leaked versions all have quite a few bugs.

i have no bugs with the leaked froyo versions. besides the latest leak of 2.3.13 is probably what the actual release will be.

that being said the DX is an extremely powerful device stock.

Upvote 0
i have no bugs with the leaked froyo versions. besides the latest leak of 2.3.13 is probably what the actual release will be.

that being said the DX is an extremely powerful device stock.

In reading through the various froyo threads, it does seem that quite a few have bugs. Of course maybe there are plenty who don't and just don't post about it. In any case, for myself I'm fine waiting for the official release.

Upvote 0
If having a launcher means one is not stock, then I am not stock either. Running ADW with the sense theme. The stock launcher is rather crappy. I was personally commenting about not being rooted or running a leaked rom.

Running a launcher doesn't mean you aren't stock anymore. That is reserved for rooted, themed and or rommed devices.

Upvote 0
I'm totally stock on 2.1 and loving this phone! I previously had an iPhone 3Gs, and I jailbroke it withing a week of getting it because there was a lot I wanted it to do that it couldn't do while stock, but needed to be jailbroken to do. But with my Droid X, I've had it for about a month now, and I still have seen no real need to root, it can already do everything I want it to do right out of the box. I have no regrets about bailing on my iPhone a year early to get into the DX.

Upvote 0
Just keep in mind that virtually the only things you hear about on a forum is problems.

It's like walking into a car repair place and asking how people like their car. Some will be happy because they're there for routine maintenance or a rare repair. Many will be unhappy, though - because they wouldn't be there if their car was great. Consequently, you're going to hear, "my O2 sensor went out after 10,000 miles!" or "my transmission blew after less than 50k!" or "this is the fourth time I've been to the shop this month!"

It doesn't mean the cars suck. It just means you're sampling from the part of the population that has issues.

Upvote 0
Just keep in mind that virtually the only things you hear about on a forum is problems.

It's like walking into a car repair place and asking how people like their car. Some will be happy because they're there for routine maintenance or a rare repair. Many will be unhappy, though - because they wouldn't be there if their car was great. Consequently, you're going to hear, "my O2 sensor went out after 10,000 miles!" or "my transmission blew after less than 50k!" or "this is the fourth time I've been to the shop this month!"

It doesn't mean the cars suck. It just means you're sampling from the part of the population that has issues.

stop talking...you are making too much sense...lol j/k

Upvote 0
Really the phone is just like any other on the market.

There are things it does extremely well. There are things that are lacking. There is software that works perfectly, there is software that is buggy.

Keep in mind the phrase "jack of all trades, master of none" - that applies to smart phones more than anything else. Yeah, it shoots HD video and takes pictures and does fairly well. Compared to a dedicated HD camera and digital cameras however, it's lacking. Yeah, it tracks your position via GPS and does a great job. Out in the sticks under canopy while geocaching however, a dedicated GPS unit with high sensitivity receiver is far more accurate, not to mention you can drop those in a lake and not worry about them. The trade off is those receivers can't log your finds via c:geo.

Is the phone perfect? No, of course not. Is it a POS? No, not even close. I haven't rooted, the only real issue I have with the phone was exchange, which should be fixed with 2.2, and was fixed for me by Moto giving me a free touchdown license. Everything else is simple annoyances you find with any other phone. I'll easily stick with this phone past my eligible upgrade dates, if not far beyond.

Upvote 0

Totally agree. By nature, the people visiting forums are either looking to solve a problem (aka - the ones that hate it), or looking to tweak their phones (aka - the ones that love it) THere are some in between, but not many, and usually those people don't post much, they just browse.

That said...
I have a stock X (had it for over a week now) and I LOVE it. I upgraded from an LG Shine, and I don't know how I lived without this thing. It is practically replacing my old Compaq laptop. I have had no issues with it so far (I know, its only been a week) I researched pretty much every other phone out there, and I am 100% satisfied with my decision.

Anyway, I can't tell you much about rooting or whatnot since I have not (and probably will not - at least for a while) done any real modding. I am happy with it the way it is for the moment.

Just my 2 cents!

Upvote 0
I had the chance to use the original Droid, switched to the INC, then finally got my hands on the X. Definitely love the X more than the other 2. Not to say they were bad, just the X was more of what I was looking for.

I have used other smart phones in the past. I had a Win mobile before. Compared to the X it was like being trapped in molasses with how slow and plodding it was. The X is like a greased pig. That sucker will run circles around just about anything else out there.

You wont go wrong with either the INC or the X. Both are very nice smart phones. Go to a store and hold each to see what feels better in your hands. I have huge hands so the X is a perfect fit. Plus I liked the weight and heft of it more than the INC. The INC felt too light and too plasticy.

Upvote 0
Read about ANYTHING on the internet and you will see the same results.....LOVE/HATE.

I tend to be a bit more pragmatic and HONEST ;)

It works very well. Has it's pluses and minuses just like any device. It works very well. And so did my Blackberry Storm. And so did my '75 Opel 1900 Ascona. And so does my '06 VW diesel Jetta.

Only way to find out if it works for YOU is to get it and try it.

Launcher Pro. No root.

Upvote 0
I'm basicaly happy with my X witha few exceptions.
1. Although my volume is as loud as my Droid, it is useless if anything is obstructing the tiny hole the sound exits. Contrary to what we are being told this can never be fixed by software.

2. No matter how I set the WiFi sleep policy, it goes off when not in use. I want it on all the time no matter what it does to my battery life.

As far as rooting, I haven't and the only reasons I would is to get WiFi hotspot, Flash, and the ability to take screen shots.

Upvote 0
Stock good enough for me. But, look around at the other phone forums here. You will not see one forum that does not have it's share of complainers.

My only complaint (HaHa) is that verizon and motorola managed to take a great piece of hardware and inject crap into it. I freaking hate that. But that crap is migrating itself on to the other phones. The way I see it, the X is the best android device available, even with the crap.

Upvote 0
I have used smartphones for over 4 years now. I usually upgrade every 6 months. I dont even think about another phone now that i have the DX. I have had it since launch day and it is the best smart phone on the market.

The lag and freeze ups are not enough to be concerned with. It is my understanding that these issues will be resolved with Froyo. The phone recovers great when it does have a hiccup and is usually very fast. I would recommend LauncherPro or ADW Launcher. The stock launcher is a bit slow when going to the app dock but LP and ADW resolve this issue.

All in all this is an excellent phone for buisness or play and i would recommend it to everyone. Just remember that all these smartphone have their problems but there is always a work around. Just come here to the forums and ask. Most of the ppl here are very knowlegeable and helpful. Dont be afraid to buy the X....you will not regret it.

Upvote 0
I am a bone stock dx user, i love this phone. The only time i've had it lock up or reboot was when i was running adw, or launcher pro and the angry birds beta was freezing me up but hey that's a beta. And when i was getting rebooted cause of the launchers it was rare. But like everybody else has said its an amazing phone that will hopefully only get better with dessert (froyo) :).

Posted from my Droid X

Upvote 0
Ok, Im totally sold. I am really glad I posted on here, because I was on the fence as to whether the X was a good smartphone or not. Its been a couple months now, so I would think Motorola has it figured out. haha ok maybe not, but like people are saying, if I have troubles I know exactly where to go now!

Thanks for all of the honesty, it is exactly what I was hoping for.

Off to VZW.com to put in my order!! WOOHOO!!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones