is the video quality really better on froyo?

Last Updated:

1. johnnyjp

johnnyjp Active Member This Topic's Starter

i personally dont have froyo yet but ive been watching some videos on youtube and yeah, they are impressive.

but i have two questions

1) how does it compare to new iphones camera quality? ive seen some samples on youtube as well, and i think that iphone wins this one
    2) hm as i stated in an earlier topic, whenever recording videos with desire (at least 2.1) you can see that the image is kinda "floating". what i mean by that is that the image looks like it was filmed with shaky hands even if you lay the phone on the ground; as soon as some movement occurs it looks like the image is floating or waving... is that issue gone with the new froyo update, or does it still persists?

if youre not sure what im talking about here, just see this video YouTube - HTC Desire Video Sample (moving object)

and then see this one

YouTube - iPhone 4 sample video: Thriller

image seems waaaay more stable (stabilized?)

Advertisement
  2. Pedro7

Pedro7 Well-Known Member

be happy you have a signal when you hold the phone :p

3. johnnyjp

heres maybe even a better example of what im talking about

YouTube - HTC Desire - HD 720p - test2

and honestly, i prefer desire over iphone because 1) i already own an ipog touch which i dont use anymore since i got desire 2) android is a system for me... its more web-ish than iphone...

the only thing i miss though is: applications which SUCK compared to iphone, especially given the HUGE possibilities that hardware offers

4. Pedro7

Pedro7 Well-Known Member

that is some great quality.. too bad the fps is utterly useless atm :p

5. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

FPS depends mostly on the lighting conditions, and the SD card. Photography 101 - If you have less light, you need to expose each frame longer to get the correct exposure. It's more complicated than that in reality, but that's the basic idea.

So try the Desire's video outside on a nice sunny day, with a class 6 microSD card in, and see if it's any better than testing indoors. It should be. Not that I'm saying the FPS couldn't use some improvement. :p

6. johnnyjp

i know that, im not talking about fps... fps is not the issue, eg in car video - theres nothing wrong with fps but the picture is still shaking!

7. Wlliam.

Wlliam. Well-Known Member

Facts

1. iphone 4 has a better camera. not apple fanboy or hater, im neutral.
    2. your Desire will take better pictures and videos if you take the back cover off.
    3. video is same as shaky as with 2.1, only with added 720p and led light option.

8. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

The picture is shaking because his hands are moving around while he holds the phone, and the low FPS is making the motion seem choppy and sudden.

9. ifb-online

ifb-online Well-Known Member

I'm seeing around 18-21fps with my Desire using 720HD. This is OK, but I was hoping for 30fps.

Ian