Is the X10 really a great phoneGeneral

Last Updated:

1. ruddocg

ruddocg New Member This Topic's Starter

All first post on this forum as have an X1 and contract ending so looking at upgrading to X10 - or iPhone or something else HTC Desire is mentioned.

Been looking through the forum to get a feel on the X10 as the X1 is a massive disappointment with lag issues, crashes, cracking, etc, etc, etc and I just want to know if you LOVE, HATE, put up with or TRADED the X10 in.

I have always had SE phones and use to love them the X1 has just been a bit of a pain so not sure if the X10 is the be all and end all of Smartphones.

Cheers

Ruddocg

Advertisement
  2. Crash27

Crash27 Well-Known Member

With any phone there is going to be issues with it. The X10 is an amazing phone, it has a powerful processor, tons of ram, comes with a 16GB SD card plus Sony's UI with TimeScape & MediaScape. There are a lot of new phones being produced and the main hype on them right now is the Android OS. They are being released with 2.1 and 2.2 which a lot of people are wanting for it is the newest OS, The X10 uses the 1.6 which is still amazing and makes the X10 a great phone, but the issue with the phone that a lot of people are having is the battery life, SE is supposed to be putting out an update to resolve this among other things and if they do then then the X10 will be a top contender. So the bottom line is if you are not to worried about having the latest OS right away and you want the nicest looking phone then the X10 is a great deal.

ruddocg and FergiGirl like this.
  3. frankbonatelli

frankbonatelli Well-Known Member

I would have to second Crash27 statements and add to that with my two cents worth regarding your iPhone thoughts.
    I just tossed it out. Had it for two years and day two of ownership need to jailbreak it then had to root it and only then did it have a certain amount of charm for me. It needed unlocking for chip choice when travelling. I needed copy paste and multi windows, none of this came built in. Dont get me wrong its a smooth piece of hardware but way to closed source and controlled. The Axe came for me when I ready Steve was quoted as saying jailbreaking should be considered illegal. That was the straw for me. Sure was easy to use and pretty, but so to is the X10. One thing to know the X10 is lightning fast when compared to any of the iPhones. and I do me fast fast fast.

No mater your choice all tech is cool so enjoy the fruits of your labors!!

ruddocg likes this.
  4. pontuszaar

pontuszaar Active Member

I love my x10, wouldn't trade it for any other phone.
    Battery life is not an issue for me, maybe im not a heavy user but my battery lasts 2-3 days.

and don't worry, its NOT like x1.

ruddocg likes this.
  5. Loch

Loch Well-Known Member

Agree with Crash27's assessment as well.

My wife has an iPhone 3GS, and to be honest the battery on my x10 lasts way longer than hers. Granted she has had hers for quite a while longer, but I am a much heavier user (other than email) than her. The screen on the x10 is much better IMHO, and at least in my experience, there is something in the Android Market (not always as good, but at least something) to compete with pretty much every App she has from iTunes.

If you are someone who is concerned about having the latest and greatest software updates 2 days after they come out, you might be disappointed, but time will tell how long it takes SE to get the upgrade out to us users.

ruddocg likes this.
  6. Mxtc

Mxtc Well-Known Member

I would agree with Crash27 as well. X10 is amazing, stylish, and it's fast. I'm objective, as I've played with iPhone and Nexus One, and I like those, but the X10 packs more features that you'll utilize on a daily basis. Sony is really supporting this phone on their website with good tech support, blogs and videos.

7. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

If having a really nice looking phone, or the best Android camera available, are super high on your wish list then the X10 is a great choice.

If those two things aren't of paramount importance the Nexus and Desire are both superior, and if you wait a few weeks the Galaxy S would be another better choice.

I own the X10 and the Desire, and my SIM doesn't spend much time in the X10 at all. If you look somewhere like Mobile-review you'll see lots of people who were very satisfied with their X10s initially, but quite quickly most of them are already looking elsewhere.

8. kwacker

kwacker New Member

NZtechfreak, it sounds like you are searching for the 'perfect' phone.... well good luck with that lol

Most of the reviews I read say the people who bought the X10 are very satisfied with it. I'm certainly not looking 'elsewhere'... I reckon the X10 is a great phone and will only get better with the forthcoming updates. And I don't understand how you can say the Galaxy S will be a better phone when you don't own it yet?

Anyway, for me, the X10 is a stunning phone, sure it has a few niggles but what phone doesn't?

ruddocg likes this.
  9. iu3939

iu3939 Member

The phone was just ok for me, I sold it already because the 8.1 camera was not that good and my 5 mp hd2 was so much better. Timescape and Mediascape was not very useful and the battery sucked but I expected it too. It was very fast and a good looking phone I just think there will be a lot of phones that blow this away in a month or two.

ruddocg likes this.
  10. NZtechfreak

You sound rather defensive.

I'm not saying the X10 isn't a good phone, and for the OP and yourself it may be a great phone, but the fact is that aside from the two considerations I mentioned its inferior to the Desire/Nexus.

Regards most phones having a few niggles, of course thats true, its just that the X10 has more than the handsets I'm talking about.

Regards the Galaxy S, sure you're right of course, I don't yet have the handset. But if you compare the X10 reviews to the one review of the Galaxy S currently available (GSMarena), it seems pretty likely it'll surpass the X10 by a fair margin. Who knows, we'll see soon.

11. Mxtc

Mxtc Well-Known Member

Ruddocg said he's always had Sony Ericsson phones, so when asking if the X10 is good, its far superior to the other touchscreen SE phones I've tried. Furthermore, as an owner, the X10 is a phone I recommend (Timescape/Mediascape is useful for me and the phone will upgrade in September)

Considering NZTechFreak's comments isn't too bad since he owns both the X10 and the Desire. You won't have to wait so long for upgrades, and the touchscreen on the HTC phones (Desire/Nexus One) are multi-touch.

It seems most of the people who aren't happy with X10 were previously HTC owners (Hero owners), so they got used to things being a certain way. :)

ruddocg likes this.
  12. NZtechfreak

If he's a Sony loyalist then I agree, he can't do better than the X10 for now (and for the foreseeable future).

ruddocg likes this.
  13. ruddocg

ruddocg New Member This Topic's Starter

many thanks everyone........

don't REALLY want an iPhone but was really hacked off with the X1. I do like SE and would like to stay (although not blinkered to other vendor's). From the above objective discussions sounds like it is a GREAT phone, some niggles (as you'll never get the perfect phone) and really just needs SE to roll out Android 2.1/2.2

OK so I'm gonna bite the bullet and order one........will see what its like

Thanks Everyone

Ruddocg