• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there a better calling plan for me?

Corvid

Nov 11, 2009
Hi, I'm using an Eris and I'd like to try to reduce my monthly costs if possible. There's a few things I don't understand completely. First, on Verizon's website, they have both a 29.99 "unlimited" data plan and a 9.99 25mb data plan. Can the Eris use the 9.99 plan or am I stuck with 29.99?

I do use Google Voice for all my calls and texts. I've never had a problem with the text portion of GV, but lately and more increasingly, when I try to call someone using GV, it will fail and ask me if I want to retry the call using GV or if I want to dial the call normally. Redialing the number, without going through GV, works everytime. Redialing with GV sometimes gives me the same error popup and other times it'll go through. What is making this happen? Is it based on my location? My Settings? Is there an easy fix?

Initially, I started out with the 49.99 450 minute calling plan but being excited with having a new toy, I ended up nearly going over my minutes, so I upgraded to the regular 900 minute plan. It did not include Friends & Family. Later I decided that maybe if I went with the 900 minute plan that DID include Friends & Family, I could pay a little extra and in the long run, save a lot, due to making my GV# one of the 5 Friends & Family numbers. However, after reviewing my bills the past few months, I'm not really seeing that it matters much. Every single listing that has my GV# on it, only says "1 minute". Does it just say that by default, even if I make an hour long call through my GV# that's on the Friends & Family plan? It's hard to know if I'm actually saving myself minutes when it doesn't seem to tell me exactly how many minutes had been used.

For example, this past month, I used a whopping 96 of my 900 minutes according to my bill. That to me, says I need a lesser plan. Unless I can find out exactly how many minutes it would have been without using GV, it seems like I'm paying for way too many minutes. Is this making any sense?

For anyone that is still reading this and willing to help, I also have a question about something I keep hearing about in Google Voice threads, which is this "push" notification stuff. What does it mean? What does it do for me? With the newest version of Google Voice that provides this feature, I can't find an option to turn it on. Is it just something that's always on? Kind of confused about all of this and any help with any of the above is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

The 25 mb data feature is for non-smartphones only. It will not work with any smartphone.

As far as your calling plan goes, the non friends and family 900 minute plan (e.g., americas choice) is the same price as the nationwide 900 minute plan so you should not be paying more when you switched.

I'd figure out how many friends and family minutes you're using. they appear as mobile to mobile on your bill before making any changes.

Upvote 0
Okay, then to clarify on this before I make changes - on my bill where it says "Usage Charges" it lists Voice section with a submenu as follows

Calling Plan - allowance 900 - used 96
Mobile to Mobile - allowance unlimited - used 1085
Night/Weekend - allowance unlimited - used 100

So, the "Mobile to Mobile" section means that I used 1085 minutes, of which were placed to calls to my Friends & Family 5? Or to Friends & Family + other Verizon users? Or does that even matter, since the calls being made to those Verizon wireless users is still being made through my GV number?

Upvote 0
just get unlimited everything, ditch the home phone, call your cable company and threaten to switch if they cant match a "competitors offer" that u can make up. for instance i was paying TWC 179.00 a month for 10mb road runner unlimtied digital phone and digital cable with 1 HD DVR. i made up a story that Grande sales man came to my house and offered me 3mb high speed internet, 2 HD DVR 6 and months HBO all for 69.00 for one year. so they cut out my phone dropped my internet speed to 3mb, gave me 2 HD DVR and HBO for 6 months @ 89.00 . i cut almost 100 in a monthly bill right there. and not missing really the home phone nor the speed on the net as i dont game any longer. oh and make sure they throw in a wireless outer so you can enjoy eris on you home wifi.

Upvote 0
Okay, then to clarify on this before I make changes - on my bill where it says "Usage Charges" it lists Voice section with a submenu as follows

Calling Plan - allowance 900 - used 96
Mobile to Mobile - allowance unlimited - used 1085
Night/Weekend - allowance unlimited - used 100

So, the "Mobile to Mobile" section means that I used 1085 minutes, of which were placed to calls to my Friends & Family 5? Or to Friends & Family + other Verizon users? Or does that even matter, since the calls being made to those Verizon wireless users is still being made through my GV number?

Call into care and have them take a look at your friends and family usage. They have a tool that can break it out even further and give you the average. If your average is greater than what you would use under 450 minute plan, keep your plan.

Then again, the poster above has a good point about completely unlimited. Its only $10 more over the 900 minute plan.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones