• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there a Better Camera App

SlvrScoobie

Android Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2010
So I seem to always be fiddling with the exposure, which although I appreciate is available - unlike my BB, its annoying to have to press menu, settings, then scroll to exposure.
Is there an app for the camera that would be adjustable on the screen? As a photographer, this makes the camera app pretty annoying...

I have Camera360 and Vignette, both lack the manual exposure settings that my Captivat'es camera has. I haven't found a really decent camera app replacement yet. It seems no one is making a camera app with a UI for quick, effective control of the camera, Camera360 for me is the best so far but it definitely is lacking. It seems with no hard-coded UI someone should be able to do better than what I've so far tried. Some customizable features like which functions appear onscreen and where buttons are placed would be great. The Captivate doesn't have a camera button and I have CameraZoomFX also which lets you map the existing keys to functions but it is a bit buggy.

Upvote 0
Amen, I am also a pro photographer. So probably my expectations are too high. But the (other) phone's images are way warmer and the droid x are bluish red. Very unnatural when most images are of people. I've been searching for a better camera. Is Vignette worth paying for? Can anyone confirm that color is different or is color the same as stock? I am running 2.2 btw. Panoramic stitching is AMAZING.

Upvote 0
I'm little more than an amateur photog, but i agree that the camera is sorely underrepresented. I bought vignette, but i'm becoming increasingly disappointed in it. I don't so much value perfect color reproduction (this is a phone, after all) as i do being able to quickly take a clear picture, when i want to. Otherwise the convenience of having a relatively capable camera on you at all times is for naught. Vignette is novel, but little else. If you're a very art-sy photographer, it may have value. i am not. I take random pics of things i find interesting at random times, (in class, etc) and a silent shutter and focus was something i was seeking. Vignette also has some valuable timing functions, a baffling omission from the stock camera. i'm running 2.1 btw, hopefully only until later this week. Camera360 goes berserk on my X, and it refuses to reference the froyo gallery instead of the eclair gallery.

edit2: i did just discover though that having my phone set to silent silences all stock camera sounds. duur.

Upvote 0
The in-built camera on the htc desire is great and seems like it would provide what you're looking for (has an easy access slide out control panel with access to all the settings like exposure and brightness, has options to make shots sepia, b&w, adjust iso settings, use a timer etc etc). Not sure if there's a way you could get it on your phone though...maybe someone else could chip in on that. I'm not a tech type.

Upvote 0
It's nothing special but I've found Camera Magic to be fairly good. It comes up quickly, has a slider on screen for zoom and other adjustable settings. I tend to use it more than Vignette (paid edition) when all I want is a quick snapshot. Camera Magic on AppBrain

CameraMagic looks like it always keeps the GPS on, that is a deal breaker for me all by itself.

I agree, so far I think the easiest to use is Camera360, but then again it doesn't have the exposure settings the OP was asking about, at least on my Captivate, you can't even change ISO. Still I like it the best though.

Upvote 0
You can search silent spy camera in the market, it not only disabled the sound, also hide your preview and record file.

I'm little more than an amateur photog, but i agree that the camera is sorely underrepresented. I bought vignette, but i'm becoming increasingly disappointed in it. I don't so much value perfect color reproduction (this is a phone, after all) as i do being able to quickly take a clear picture, when i want to. Otherwise the convenience of having a relatively capable camera on you at all times is for naught. Vignette is novel, but little else. If you're a very art-sy photographer, it may have value. i am not. I take random pics of things i find interesting at random times, (in class, etc) and a silent shutter and focus was something i was seeking. Vignette also has some valuable timing functions, a baffling omission from the stock camera. i'm running 2.1 btw, hopefully only until later this week. Camera360 goes berserk on my X, and it refuses to reference the froyo gallery instead of the eclair gallery.

edit2: i did just discover though that having my phone set to silent silences all stock camera sounds. duur.

Upvote 0
I think most camera apps just use the default Android API calls, so actual adjustments to shutter speed is unavailable. That said, Camera360 and Vignette are probably the best. They both have a ton of post-processing effects on camera, but Vignette seems a little more intuitive. Very important for me is the "stabilize shot" feature for taking pictures in low-light, and camera360 even has sensitivity settings for it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones