• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Is there a car/GPS window mount for the Fascinate?

Attachments

• new_m110s_carcradle01[1].jpg
    new_m110s_carcradle01[1].jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 91
Upvote 0
Just ordered it ... $29.90 shipped. Looked at the Verizon one today, but at $49.95 and no charger ... not happening. Ordered a chargers and 90 deg tip on Amazon for $4 shipped, so I should be set.

I got mine from Verizon and it was priced at $39.99. (got it for 29.99 w/discount:)) It's sturdy and the phone stays secure.I wish it had an elbow to stick out further to be able to adjust better. After seeing that ad about using a mount as a car camera I was disappointed to see I could not do that on the Verizon bracket, now I won't be able to film a crash I cause by fiddling with my phone :eek:

Upvote 0
New Bracket is in and I like. Came all the way from Seoul Korea in 10 days ... not bad considering the distance. When I first grabbed the package I thought, Oh-O ... this sure is light, and it is. But it looks to be well made. The picture with the red and white circles shows the clamp for the arms pivot. There is a threaded rod (white circle) that goes all the way through to a brass inset with threads (red circle). The ends that get clamped have interlocking teeth so its solid with out having to tighten it down hard. The suction cup is a soft rubber and looks to be of good quality. The bracket is solid when mounted and very unobtrusive. I'll think I'll keep it. :)

Now I just need to find a good black box software suite that not only copies video and/or camera shots, but integrates navigation and music as well ... any suggestions??

Attachments

• BracketInCar.jpg
    BracketInCar.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Brackrt1.jpg
    Brackrt1.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Brackrt2.jpg
    Brackrt2.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Brackrt3.jpg
    Brackrt3.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Brackrt4.jpg
    Brackrt4.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: Moonfire
Upvote 0
New Bracket is in and I like. Came all the way from Seoul Korea in 10 days ... not bad considering the distance. When I first grabbed the package I thought, Oh-O ... this sure is light, and it is. But it looks to be well made. The picture with the red and white circles shows the clamp for the arms pivot. There is a threaded rod (white circle) that goes all the way through to a brass inset with threads (red circle). The ends that get clamped have interlocking teeth so its solid with out having to tighten it down hard. The suction cup is a soft rubber and looks to be of good quality. The bracket is solid when mounted and very unobtrusive. I'll think I'll keep it. :)

Thank you for sharing! I'm very, very tempted to get this now.. The only thing is that my windshield may be too far away for my liking. Would really prefer something that clips to the vent, but having trouble finding one I like (granted, haven't looked that hard). Plus I'm a bit concerned about having the hot/cold air from the vent shooting directly at my phone..

Now I just need to find a good black box software suite that not only copies video and/or camera shots, but integrates navigation and music as well ... any suggestions??

What about using a third-party launcher that has a landscape mode? Even if you only use it for the car, you could just launch is with Home Switcher and be able to set whatever icons you like.

Upvote 0
If you guys are using the Fascinate with a case of some sort, your best bet is ProClip's adjustable holder. I used it with the Evo in an Innocase (and now my Epic.) You could use it on the bare phone as well and the holder would last you through quite a few phones due to the adjustable nature of it.

I was hoping the smaller adjustable holder would work but the max width of it is 63mm and the Fascinate is 64mm wide. It actually probably would fit since there is a touch of give to the sides, but I can't say for sure till mine comes in and I can take it to a store and test it. Like to find out what adjustable will work with what phones. I hate seeing people buy the specific mounts only to ditch it a year or two later when they upgrade phones. Cheaper to spend the few extra dollars now and have one holder that does the trick for many phones to come.

Also, if you're interested in ProClip, let me know. I can save you some dough since their stuff isn't cheap.

Ryan

Upvote 0

Does this have the magnet in it so that the phone is automatically placed into car dock mode and the screen automatically stays on while docked (such as the Samsung OEM dock)? If it does include the magnet that puts the phone in this automated car/driver mode, I want the link to this product as it looks like the best option I have seen that will both allow for navigation and use as a race recorder. This will prevent me from needing to mount a GoPro to the roll cage, Samsung Fascinate.... an all in one wonder!

Upvote 0
I found a mount oneither ebay or amazon (Iforget, but if anyone wants to know I'll go pull it from my history) for all of $5 shipped. It came with option for vent or window mount, and it fits the pohone great (in case) and holds it secure, and is very sturdy. I put it on the vent, since I like to have it closer than where my window allows for.

as for the hot/cold air from the vent, I realized something about my heater use in the car.

When it is very cold out, I always turn the heat on to the defrost setting, to help thaw the car out, and I have always found that in the winter, I prefer not to have ANY air blowing directly on me, due to dry skin issues, so I usually keep the air on defrost mode for the full ride- Based on that, the phone won't get any more warm air on the vent than on the window.

In the summer, I am not overly concerned about the cold air- as I can minimize the air coming from that vent, and really, cold air should not affect the phone nearly so much. Besides, I hate putting the air on more than 2 most of the time, so it is never THAT bad.

So, all that said, the vent option was perfect for me. AND, it was finicky to instal, but is nice and secure on there, aI have no fears of it coming off unexpectedly. One more budget Accessory for the win!

ETA: Hmm.. price has gone up- now its $7 shipped. :)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370445927159&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Upvote 0
I found a mount oneither ebay or amazon (Iforget, but if anyone wants to know I'll go pull it from my history) for all of $5 shipped. It came with option for vent or window mount, and it fits the pohone great (in case) and holds it secure, and is very sturdy. I put it on the vent, since I like to have it closer than where my window allows for.

as for the hot/cold air from the vent, I realized something about my heater use in the car.

When it is very cold out, I always turn the heat on to the defrost setting, to help thaw the car out, and I have always found that in the winter, I prefer not to have ANY air blowing directly on me, due to dry skin issues, so I usually keep the air on defrost mode for the full ride- Based on that, the phone won't get any more warm air on the vent than on the window.

In the summer, I am not overly concerned about the cold air- as I can minimize the air coming from that vent, and really, cold air should not affect the phone nearly so much. Besides, I hate putting the air on more than 2 most of the time, so it is never THAT bad.

So, all that said, the vent option was perfect for me. AND, it was finicky to instal, but is nice and secure on there, aI have no fears of it coming off unexpectedly. One more budget Accessory for the win!

ETA: Hmm.. price has gone up- now its $7 shipped. :)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370445927159&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

The link didn't work for me, but I found it by searching for the name of the thing you gave in the other thread.

You make a good point about air coming from the vent - I rarely put heat through there too, dries my eyes out too dang much. So thinking that's less of an issue now. And now to bug you with questions!

It says it can rotate 360 degrees - is this just because the gooseneck part could in theory rotate, or is there an actual mechanism in there to allow rotating? Can it rotate using the vent clip too? Would it be held in there enough if in landscape? Does it feel quality enough to last a while? And finally - would you be able to take pictures of it? Thank you for mentioning this item, it's looking promising.

Upvote 0
It says it can rotate 360 degrees - is this just because the gooseneck part could in theory rotate, or is there an actual mechanism in there to allow rotating? Can it rotate using the vent clip too? Would it be held in there enough if in landscape? Does it feel quality enough to last a while? And finally - would you be able to take pictures of it? Thank you for mentioning this item, it's looking promising.

ok. lets see. yes, the gooseneck bends (it is very stiff, though, which is good) but there is also a round mechanism there to turn it so you do not have to twist the gooseneck in order to turn it. there is a little switch that locks it into whatever position you choose.

HOWEVER, this is only so in the suction cup mode- the vent clips do NOT allow for 36o turning, and, in fact, ONLY do portrait mode. if you want landscape, you have to use it on a window. this is a drawback, but not a deal breaker for me- the way the clips go on, though, there is no way to turn it to landscape while on the vent.

That said, I did try it in suction cup mode first, and while for me, I decided it was too far from me and from my cord to be right, it was sturdy, and it stayed in place well. I don't think it would have fallen off on its own, I had to release the suction cup (it has a little clip to increase suction as many nicer ones have) The phone end did bounce just a bit on bumpy roads, but did not move a lot. it might be a concern if you are often driving on very bad roads though- since it is harder to glance read a screen that is in motion.

IT DOES look like it will last a while, it feels sturdy to me, it locks closed well, and does not pop open untill you hit the release button. the rest for the bottom of the phone is a little shallow imo (since I like to angle it a little out at the bottom to leave space for the rear speaker to function well), but the side arms hold it just fine on their own, no shifting. I turned it upside down and shook it with my phone in it (at home, a few inches from the table to be safe) and the phone did not budge- I think it will stay in no matter how you turn it.

I can snap a picture of it in my car later when I go to pic up my kiddo from school... can't get a pic with the phone in it till my other camera gets back from repair though. (darn usb port squishing in- but thats another product, another story)

in short, I think this is well worth the money paid, and will last just fine. I see no real reason for it to wear out or break anytime soon.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones