Is there a definitive way to prevent OTA updates?

Last Updated:

1. jasonl99

jasonl99 New Member This Topic's Starter

This is my first post on this board - and I wanted to express a great deal of thanks to everyone for the wealth of information avaiable. I recently rooted my EVO and installed Myn's 2.2 ROM which I am extremely happy with. There is NO CHANCE I would have done this without all the great info here.

I have looked for this information and am a bit overwhelmed - this is the first phone I've rooted, so I am proceeding extremely carefully with all the things I do with it.

I can't seem to find a definitive answer how to prevent OTA updates entirely. I'm not even sure I have to worry about it since I have a new ROM installed.

1) Does installing a ROM like Myn's automatically prevent OTA updates from being applied and notifications given?
    2) If not, will renaming otacerts.zip work permanently at preventing updates and notifications (which I can do with Root Explorer)
    3) I have Titanium Backup, is there update-related app I can freeze to prevent updates?

The last thing I want to have happen is to wake up some morning and suddenly my phone is unrooted with a new version of Sprint's ROM. I am perfectly happy waiting for custom ROMs to come out with feature changes (for example, Gingerbread). If I never see an OTA update prompt again, and I can be sure it won't apply itself without my intervention, I'll be happy as a clam.

Advertisement
  2. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

I have never seen an update notification. I watch for updates to my current ROM and aplly when available ...and have auto updates turned off

menu.settings.system updates.htc software update.uncheck scheduled check

that is all i have done

AliasMangler, jasonl99 and rkkeller like this.
  3. rkkeller

rkkeller Well-Known Member

I am glad I found this as I was wondering the same thing. I turned mine off too.

4. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Or just hit NO if you are prompted to update.

5. shandroid

shandroid Well-Known Member

spin off Q what does Warm Updater do? When RLS 4 hits can you simply update it? I thought you had to wipe/flash for updates so what's this app do?