• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is there a fix for the GPS reboot issue?

I've noticed on this forum comments about GPS - it appears that the only way to get it running is to make sure it is on before rebooting. Simply turning it on then trying to get a lock doesn't work, the phone has to be rebooted.

Although not a show stopper, I find this to be a bit of a pain. Does anyone know of any flashes or workarounds that might save me waiting a few minutes for a reboot?

Bit embarrassing when I explain this to iPhone users...

I wonder, why would you leave it turned off? All the GPS on/off switch does is to allow/disallow apps to use it if they want to. The receiver itself is not used until an app requests location data, so there is no battery drain.

I leave it on all the time, and there is no battery drain, unless I actually try use GPS. Or are you using some app which requests location data from OS often?

On unrelated note, GPS on my Hero tends to lose the ability to get a fix after a week or so of uptime even if I never switch it off, so maybe the underlying issue is elsewhere. I haven't tried the latest (OU) radio yet, though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones