Is there a good voicemail/caller ID alternative?Support

Last Updated:

1. MSchaff30

MSchaff30 Member This Topic's Starter

The one thing i miss most about my iPhone is the caller ID/ visual voicemail capability that came standard. is there anything offered in the market that is comparable? I miss being able to look at the call log and see where calls originated. Thanks in advance for any help!

Advertisement
  2. DT

DT Well-Known Member

See the various threads about Google Voice. It's an outstanding VVM solution!

3. XTheEnthusiastX

XTheEnthusiastX Active Member

Well there is Google Voice, a completely free app from the Marketplace that provides a visual voicemail service. You can get it working by reading this guide:

How to set up Google Voice voicemail on the Samsung Captivate - Know Your Cell

Oh and one more thing...you can also enable google voice to TRANSCRIBE voicemails (speech to text) for free so you can read them in the form of a text message or email! Try doing that iPhone! :p

4. DT

DT Well-Known Member

Yeah, it works really well too, plus it sends a copy to your GMail account. I disabled SMS since I didn't want to use up messaging allotment.

*Plus* you can access your voicemail (transcribed and full audio) though your Google account via any machine/browser which I find super helpful.

5. robphelan

robphelan Well-Known Member

just a note from my recent experience... if you want to have all the features offered from Google Voice, you need to use one of their phone numbers.

Iinitially, i chose to use my own cellphone # but that limited the features I was able to use including Texting

6. colorado_okie

colorado_okie Member

I found youmail as a free visual voicemail app at the market. It's awesome! It is visual voicemail, it will send copies to your email and allows a crazy amount of custom greetings. It also blocks callers without caller id, you can set it up to dump their call or force them to enter thier phone number to leave you a message. You can even set the greeting to a standard phone company "...this number is no longer in use, please check the number and try your call again" message.

It's awesome!!

7. MSchaff30

MSchaff30 Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks everyone, I downloaded Google Voice(mail) , its exactly what I looking! 100x better than the standard AT&T!!

8. Aro2220

Aro2220 Member

Neither google voice nor youmail works in Canada as of 24/10/2011

This is so depressing.

9. blackhemi

blackhemi Well-Known Member

congrats! Been using google voice for a long time, its truly an amazing service.
    also, having the extra number is nice. I use my g voice number for Craigslisting. Set the caller ID to show my g voice number, so I know its a sells call :) Then, the customers number shows up in the voice app. win win

Time to move to the lower 48, aye ;)
    but, you guys get the real GB :(