is there a hulu "not supported" workaround??

1. sushifor5

sushifor5 Well-Known Member

I tried downloading hulu onto my rooted, harmonia, adobe flash OV...i used an apk and got hulu on the phone, but when i try to watch anything, i get a message saying, "not supported on your platform." does anyone know of a workaround for this?

TIA!

Advertisement
  2. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus Contributor

I just tried looking in XDA and didn't see anything for the "V".
    There was some workarounds for the "not suppoted for your platform " on other phones, so it should be coming soon.
    Just keep your eyes open.

You do know Netflix works right? Go here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=15841797&postcount=2
    I'm not sure which version works with Harmonia.
    sushifor5 likes this.
  3. brotherswing

brotherswing Well-Known Member

Here's a tip for you. Most browsers will give you the option of setting the user agent. I use xScope with my user agent set to desktop. This lies to hulu, and makes it think I'm running Chrome on a PC. Not as convenient as the app, true, but it works.
    sushifor5 likes this.
  4. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus Contributor

So your saying she doesn't need the app? Setting browser to desktop will work?
    I'll have to try this.
    What version of adobe are you running?
  5. brotherswing

I'm just reporting what has worked for me. I have Flash 10.3. My performance can be a little flaky sometimes, but considering that supposedly my phone can't do this at all, I can't complain.
  6. benslgdroid

benslgdroid rockstar Guide

7. brotherswing

Upon reading the thread you linked, I see it doesn't work if you're running any kind of ad blocking. Considering ads send me into anaphylactic shock, that's really a touch of deal breaker for me. It's still great info to know, though, I'm sure other users will appreciate this.
  8. sushifor5

I tried that on dolphin browser and it didn't work...maybe i should try a different browser?
  9. sushifor5

I saw that last night and wondered about the ad issue...i use adfree b/c, I, like brotherswing, can't stand them...LOL.

I have my adobe flash from the source you gave me last week, ben, and I downloaded the hulu app from another source...

I went in to adfree and tried to "revert host" like the thread advised and it still wouldn't work...

But what I didn't do was delete my adobe flash and download and unzip and install the files that were linked in the thread you referenced...do you think i would need to do that?

thanks for your feedback, guys!!

EDIT:
    rats, when i went back to the thread ben gave above and used the qr code, it took me to a dropbox page saying the download is no longer active (same when i click the link on my computer)....hmmmm...any thoughts?

oops, nevermind, sorry...when i go to the last page of the thread, there is a newer download link...am trying that.
  10. sushifor5

OK, I got the files to download and they're on my sd card...i'm looking at it in androzip and wondering how to unzip the files, as the OP in the androidcentral forum thread advises.

When I click on the zipped download, i see an option to "extract..." is that unzipping? i don't see an unzip option and am a bit lost here...

TIA!

sorry, i need to learn not to ask my questions before i do my homework, LOL...i googled a bit and found that "extract" is what i want...so i'm going to attempt to set this up on my own, and if i really get stuck, i'll beg for help, LOL!! :)
  11. sushifor5

well, i got it working, wow! the only issue is that it doesn't let you watch content that is free online...it wants a paid subscription for "hulu plus," and i just wanted to be able to do on my phone what i could do online...watch the free recent episodes, documentaries, etc.....

anyone have any experience here? thanks!

see below for my "enlightenment," LOL.

thanks for the link to the app download fix, ben...

brotherswing, i might try another browser and see what happens....
  12. brotherswing

Sorry, I've got nothing....
  13. sushifor5

I think I just had an "aha" moment...it appears, and someone correct me if i'm wrong, that hulu does not allow android or other "devices" to access the free content that is available on the web...so it is all "paid" for phones/tablets, etc...

Now I understand why people are trying to "trick" hulu in their web browsers...the light bulb is on, LOL... i need more sleep! :)

thx all!
  14. brotherswing

I honestly never thought about it in that context. I just don't really like a bunch of apps on my phone to duplicate what xScope can give me. I mean, have you ever ordered a pizza from Pizza Hut on their web site? Not too bad. Mobile version of their site? Again, not bad. The app? Damn near useless. It looks, and feels, like a student project - obtuse, non intuitive interface that makes you wonder,...why? When ever possible, I try to just run the mobile web pages. Saves space on my phone, and in cases like Facebook, there's actually very little difference. That being said, I DO have the Youtube app. My nephew is a machinima director, and the Youtube app handles search and subscriptions way better than the mobile site. I guess it depends on your needs.
  15. benslgdroid

benslgdroid rockstar Guide

Exactly. There is a free section however only one or two things
  16. sushifor5

I hope you don't think I was trying to be denigrating in any way...i'm sorry if it sounded like that! i just meant that when i had read online about how to get hulu on the OV, I read some articles about how to set up the web browser so that hulu didn't know it was a phone, but thought it was a computer.... :) i agree with you about certain apps being useless and the web sites being much more efficient.

and i did try to download xscope and in setting change the UA to computer, and then try to stream something on hulu, but it still told me "not supported on your platform." do you have any input on what i might try to get it to work? thanks much!
  17. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

Anaphylactic Shock is due to an allergic reaction in the body due to a chemical (bee stings, food, drugs etc.). Are you sure you are not referring to a seizure caused by something visual (Photosensitive Epilepsy)?
  18. Rico ANDROID

Rico ANDROID Well-Known Member

Yep, i have tried hulu via stock browser and dolphin on the Streak and it displays the "unsupported" message as well.
  19. brotherswing

Wow, that's a very informed and articulate way of yanking the wind out of my sails. I was only joking, and didn't mean to imply that ads contain histamine. Only that they bother me to that kind of extreme.
  20. Rico ANDROID

...lol am i in the right string?...
  21. brotherswing

Yeah, you are. We just get a little distracted from time to....oh! SHINY!
  22. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

Oh geeze.. I'm sorry. :(
  23. sushifor5

hey, we're all friends here! :)

@ brotherswing, do you have any suggestions about the xscope and hulu incompatibility? i was wondering if there was a special tweak you used to get it to work.... thx!
  24. Rico ANDROID

Thats always good to hear!
    [​IMG]
  25. brotherswing

Actually, no. I misspoke (mistyped?) when I said I had gotten hulu to work that way. I was testing all kinds of methods and different websites at that time (about three months ago) and couldn't remember which ones worked, and which didn't. I had really good success with my method, but not with hulu. I apologize for leading everybody on a wild goose chase.

@NoNameFace - I use humor almost constantly in my daily speech, and I sometimes forget that online (without vocal inflections) it can be hard to tell when I'm joking.