Is there a memory leak?Support

Last Updated:

1. nathanotis

nathanotis Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I use advanced task killer to keep things under control, and handcent in favor of the stock msg app. I notice that I have upwards of 80mb free memory after killing tasks after a reboot. Over the course of the day, with only my ignored apps running, that number shrinks to 48-50mb.

Does that indicate a leak somewhere?

Advertisement
  2. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

Not necessarily, Programs which run as A "Process" in the background can not really be stopped by task manager which could explain your Question.

So basically.....you just rebooted/Started your phone and see around 80mb ............ During the day {Even a few minutes after initial boot} certain apps {that require it} may start running in the Background {hence using memory} ..... For example the Phones Keyboard ,android system, alarm clock , Wavesecure Security {if you have it} etc are all running in the background.

Carl C :)

3. nathanotis

That's a good enough answer for me! Thanks, Carl.

4. kabbie_mcfeely

kabbie_mcfeely Well-Known Member

If you browse the internet and/or the market you will have some of your memory used up with "cache".
    Go into settings, applications, manage apps, and click on browser and market, click clear cache.

Sometimes I forget to do it and after a few days it builds up pretty high. It will also cause your phone to become laggy.

5. nathanotis

Excellent tip! Thanks.

6. Sabre66

Sabre66 Well-Known Member

Yea i was wondering the same about available memory. Mine seems to always stay between 38-52 MB, even after killing all the apps in the Advanced Task Killer list. I usually only leave Screebl and Advanced Task Killer running all the time. And sometimes after using the same apps and killing them all, the available memory is slighlty different (i.e. 48 sometimes and 52 others).

Also, I just tried Kabby_McFeely's tip and went and cleard about 6 MB off my browser cache and saw no change in available memory. I'm not really experiencing any significant lag or anything, just wondering why there's a difference.

7. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

@ Kabbie

That uses internal storage reserved for just that .......... We are refering to the Memory reserved for the running and processing of applications and processes.

These 2 are totally seperate hence it will not effect what it says in task managers as demonstrated by sabre66 :)