• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there a point in UPGRADING my contract???

ChryzaorFlux

Android Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2011
Earth
Hey guys first thread in ages, ah the nostalgia from by previous days here before life got in the way

Anyways... back to the topic of this thread

Is there a point in upgrading to a new contract?

[Background story if you want to read]
Ive been with 3 UK for ages now, from what i remember approximately 4 years now. Earlier this year in February i was due for an upgrade, my current Wildfire had managed to survive the many drops, rom flashes and water damage that was thrown at it, but I had gotten tired of the lag and random force closes so i decided to get a new phone. The S4 was going to be released around late April so i decided to wait. Eventually the time came so i called up 3 to get my upgrade

By the end of my conversation with the 3 guy i felt annoyed, despite being a customer for 4+ years, if i wanted to upgrade i had to choose a preset plan and couldnt swap for another. I was basically being treated like a new customer. I realised there were no perks to being an existing customer for that length of time. Now i plan on leaving 3, once my HTC One arrives (yes i changed my mind), but that's a different story

So what are your thoughts??
(Oh if your from the UK and you know where i can buy good but not too expensive contracts pm me)

First of all, instead of being feel like you have been treated like a new customer, I would look at the benefits 3 offers with their new plan and compare it with my current plan. Does it have a higher messaging limit? Or maybe a higher mobile data usage?
Sorry, but I do not lived in UK. So unfortunately I do not really know how carrier services works in UK.

Upvote 0
First of all, instead of being feel like you have been treated like a new customer, I would looked at the benefits 3 offers with their new plan and compare it with my current plan. Does it have a higher messaging limit? Or maybe a higher mobile data usage?
Sorry, but I do not lived in UK. So unfortunately I do not really know how carrier services works in UK.

Oh trust me ive look at my contract compared with the ones i could get, there isn't really any benefits ive seen, reception is "ok", i dont get any deals or anything

My contract:
500 mins
5000 texts
1GB Data allowance
(Note that this is an old contract which they no longer offer)

Upvote 0
Have you considered other carriers? Instead of just confining yourself in one carrier, you should 'scout' for others. Compare the plans of other carriers to 3 UK. Who knows? They may just have the perfect plan for you.

Now we open the book to my other story, but ill keep it short =)
I already have ordered a HTC One, from "mobilephonesdirect" they offered me
Unlimited mins, texts. 500MB internet, 3GB BT OpenZone WiFi,

Upvote 0
Don't get me started on them.....I think they would be great for an older phone, been out for say four months minimum.

I preordered my s4 with them on the 29th March, deal was by far the best available anywhere. With the problems the s4 had I could understand it being delayed, but what got me was the number of times they changed dates etc, then sent an email saying I'd have to resend card details as it had been over thirty days since I ordered(they quoted delivery in 33days when I ordered so wtf) anyway, after being let down so many times, even after getting through to people on the phone,I just cancelled my order and went to phones 4u instead, paying slightly more but it was worth it in the long run!

Ah so your part of the club?
I ordered mine Sat 4th May, first they said in 13 days it'll come, next in 3 days, then tomorrow now on the 28th
The only reason i chose them was because of the awesome deal, i wish i had seen their facebook/twitter page. The amount of complaints they receive is phenomenal.

So did your phone come quickly with phones4u?
Because ive read about HTC's lack of stock, and their apparent increase in production last week, if by friday i dont have my phone then im cancelling my order

Upvote 0
if i wanted to upgrade i had to choose a preset plan and couldnt swap for another.

Three have got their existing customers over a barrel because they can only upgrade directly with the network, regardless of where they initially joined. That's set to change, but atm they can hold you to ransom.

I realised there were no perks to being an existing customer for that length of time.
That's still better than some networks, who offer handsets 'free' to new customers but charge existing ones

Upvote 0
I ended up just emailing them to say I wish to cancel!

How long did that take?? It almost the 28th and there hasnt been a change to my status "Pending - Network Credit Check Decision"

Three have got their existing customers over a barrel because they can only upgrade directly with the network, regardless of where they initially joined. That's set to change, but atm they can hold you to ransom.

That's still better than some networks, who offer handsets 'free' to new customers but charge existing ones

Upvote 0
Ahh i see, ill check it out, why are things made complicated unnecessarily, these independant retailers should be proficient in dealing with orders asap
It's the 28th now and there been no update on the One status, mobilephonesdirect suddenly stopped replying to their facebook or twitter comments. I can see myself cancelling my order this week, its going to really annoy me though

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones