Is there a problem or is this normal?Support

1. alock91

alock91 New Member

Hey guys,

Recently dived into the Android world, buying myself a HTC desire about 2 weeks ago.

So far, I love the setup, features and feel, the only thing I'm a little worried about is a little bit of lag.

I know the phone is renown for its processor speed and RAM, but scrolling through things like my SMS threads, the application list, and Friend Stream it is a bit 'jittery' and a little laggy. Every now and then an application like Facebook or the SMS application will crash on me. And I know I'm a rather fast texter, but when I'm texting sometimes the phone cannot quite keep up with what I'm writing.

I have no unusual applications installed and do not use task killers.

Is this normal? Or might there be some reason why its functioning a little slower than it should.

Cheers, Andy

Advertisement
    :
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I know the sms threads start to get laggy after about 500 messages or so, but no I don't think thats normal.

Has it always been like this? What apps have you installed? If i9t wasn't like that at first, does a factory reset cure it?
  3. alock91

alock91 New Member

SMS thread has 30 messages in it. It's more jittery, not smooth at all just jumps around, stopping and starting as it scrolls through.. Will try factory reset, but I can't remember whether it was like this when first bought.

Applications include:

Adobe Flash Player 10.1
    Astrid Tasks
    Barcode scanner (bit of a novelty)
    Currency converter
    Dictionary.com
    Facebook
    Gmail
    Go!Chat
    Jefit
    Maps
    Street View
    Twitter
    Youtube

Nothing particularly big, or that I would have thought could slow down the performance of the phone.

Thanks for your help
  4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Im just wondering if an app can be using cpu.

Download mybackup free trial from the market and back up what data you can before the reset. If it works, it was probably an app or setting
  5. alock91

alock91 New Member

Will do, cheers.
  6. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

The lag you describe sometimes happens on my phone. For example, if I'm playing a game or scrolling through my Twitter feed, it gets jerky for a few seconds if a text or email is being received. Otherwise my phone is fine. As dan said, the most likely cause is something using the processor.
  7. alock91

alock91 New Member

DId a factory reset, didn't help. I downloaded a CPU monitor, and even scrolling through a sms thread of 40 messages is pushing the CPU to near 100 percent. DOes my phone need to be looked at for repair?
  8. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

This is why I delete SMSs after being read/sent...no point keeping them - if its important send me an email!!
  9. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

My main SMS thread is limited to 150 messages and I get no slowdown at all while scrolling