• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there a project management app on Android?

Cleargrey

Mar 23, 2010
I'm unfortunately going to have to post this in a few places because I don't know where it's going to get the most exposure, but I'll start here because I have a Desire.

I need an app to manage the various projects that I have going on. In some ways, you can think of it as a todo application which has subtasks, projects/groups, action lists, sorting via time till due/time taken/project/importance etc.

If you have the time, check out this site where there guy goes through a number of options and criteria for a good GTD (getting things done) application.

I've tested:
OpenLoops
Astrid
Goals Todo

For starters, Astrid cannot sort by tag/project and non have sub-tasks.

I'm really hoping there is a project management app out there and someone can help me.

Not *exactly* project management, but you mentioned GTD apps. I briefly tried, and then removed, Action Complete. It was a fairly nice app, but I needed support for repeating tasks/alarms, and it didn't have it.

Another GTD app I've seen mentioned in the forums is Shuffle (there's multiple apps with 'shuffle' in the name, this is the one by Andy Bryant). Haven't tried it myself.

Upvote 0
I think RTM (remember the milk) is considered GTD approved. I am not sure if it qualifies as a full PM app though. would love to hear some review comments of the apps you tested.

My main running test was Astrid. I combined that with a Remember the Milk account and Google Gears to give me a desktop window. So rating criteria in 1-5 of desirablitiy, 1 being highest, against competence/my opinion of how it works (this giving a desirablitly/competence rating) it has:

- online syncing (2/2) - Syncing does not actually put tasks in different RTM lists, it mearly gives them the lists tags. Other than that, good stuff.
- computer desktop syncing (3/2) - Same as above.
- phone widget (2/2) - good widget too. A quarter screen widget that can either add or go to tasks. Could do with having an option for a full screen widget when your projects/tasks start getting numerous.
- different forms of notifications (1/1). Notification bar. Alarm. No alarm. Most irritating alarm imaginable. Snooze. Ignore feature. Gentle reminders. Great stuff.
- UI (1/1) - Clean, colourful. Black background (as I prefer).
- tasks (1/3) - For most people I think it'll be great. But I could do with adding them in different categories rather than adding simple tags (that you can't sort by!!!). Some advanced features would be the ability to add more than just notes to tasks. E.g. voice memos, images, documents, links, contacts, etc. Also a big minus, no sub-tasks. For project management, this is difficult to stomach.

The lack of abiliity to sort manually or according to tag literally immediately got me searching for a new app after a few weeks of using it. As soon as life starts getting more complicated, this will be an issue.

Openloopz
Didn't use it that much. It fell down at a clunky UI which didn't show me the infor I wanted within the first few screens.
No syncing.
No subtasks.
No UI colour (that I can remember).

I quickly moved on.

GOALS ToDo
Probably the closest thing to a real project manager that I've come across.
- online syncing (2/5) - Doesn't do it.
- computer desktop syncing (3/5) - Doesn't do this either.
- projects backup to SD (1/?) - Compensates for the lack of the above two with this feature which becomes very important. I can't rate it because I haven't tried it yet. And you can only really grade backup ability once you've done it AND restored it AND checked it.
- phone widget (2/3) - Not as good as Astrid's, but it does update like Astrid and take you to making a new action when you tap on it.
- UI (1/3) - This one is a contentious piece. It's quite a detailed app. And I thank them for it. But the UI is not as fluent as it can be. It may well frustrate some people who do not spend time learning it. It doesn't frustrate me but I can definitely see that it can be more obvious and cleaner without loosing any functionality.
- tasks (1/2) - Then only thing that stops it getting a 1 is there are no subtasks, or in Goals ToDo, subactions. But on the positive, it does things that none of the others do. You can set actions to done, waiting for, cancelled, paused, you can even set action that are "maybe I will, maybe I won't" and they go in a special area of possible aspirations. lol. You can manually order actions so that when you look at your next actions list, you only see the next action per project rather than everything. It has a feature where you can add up all the estimated time scales of all actions to see how long a project is estimated to take. You can't add memos and images, or other file types, but you can add notes and contacts.

GOALS ToDo is quite good so far.

As I am a Google user, I would want most of my apps to have some integration with Google calendar and/or other apps. Astrid and RTM are good like that. Goals ToDo is not as good but not bad.

Any specific questions, let me know.

Reactions: lrbaerveldt
Upvote 0
Have you tried Got To Do? I haven't tried it yet since I haven't gotten my Incredible yet, but I've seen several people rave about it.
Got To Do for Android

Reading the feature list, I have to say, when linked to a Toodledo Pro account, this combo is looking very very good. I don't mind paying if it suits my needs. And it has subtasks and folders AND search!!! None of the rest have search functions.

Nice suggestion!!!

Upvote 0
Try MLO
Android todo list software & Android GTD organizer MLO. Try Android to do list & task management software. Save your time with Android planner MLO
Has a PC version also.

John

I need an app to manage the various projects that I have going on. In some ways, you can think of it as a todo application which has subtasks, projects/groups, action lists, sorting via time till due/time taken/project/importance etc.

If you have the time, check out this site where there guy goes through a number of options and criteria for a good GTD (getting things done) application.

I've tested:
OpenLoops
Astrid
Goals Todo

For starters, Astrid cannot sort by tag/project and non have sub-tasks.

I'm really hoping there is a project management app out there and someone can help me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones