1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a remote start app?

Last Updated:

1. masaj420

masaj420 New Member This Topic's Starter

I'm looking for an app to turn on your phone from a computer or other remote location does such an app exist?

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

What possible technology could be used if your phone is OFF? :confused:

3. masaj420

From what verizon told me there's an app for blackberry called quickpull that has the capability to turn on your phone on from your pc and some one else said there was one for android but other than that I don't know?

4. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

Quickpull for Blackberry does not do that. It simulates a battery pull to free up memory without you having to remove the battery.

5. milrtime83

unless.....you have it automatically scheduled to run at a time when your phone is off. It could turn your phone on in order to run, but that isn't quickpull specifically. It is a built in function of the Blackberry operating system. If you have an alarm set for a time that you have the phone off it will turn on to allow the alarm to go off.

It still can't do what you are asking though. All it does is have a scheduled time that it turns back on and the phone knows what time it is even when it is off. You wouldn't be able to just send it some kind of signal to turn on remotely.

6. masaj420

I knew that much but I did not know the full capabilities of the app just going off of what I was told and yes I do know the pros may not know what there talking about. Lol:)

7. milrtime83

"wake on lan" technology can do it for computers. Your computer is basically off with very minimal power to the network card that can turn the computer on when you send it a specific packet.

8. masaj420

From what verizon told me there's an app for blackberry called quickpull that has the capability to turn on your phone on from your pc and some one else said there was one for android but other than that I don't know?

9. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Oh I've been using wake on lan for over ten years. But the last time I checked, my Droid doesn't have an Ethernet port. ;) When a Droid is off, I can't think of a way to power it on.

10. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Well-Known Member

"Very minimal power" is not "off." When your phone is "off" it is a brick.

11. milrtime83

Just pointing to a similar concept, not saying it is possible on a phone.

12. kmiszczak

kmiszczak New Member

I know, it's an old post. But, I thought of a way.
    But perhaps not as 'remote' as the initial poster wants.

Consider this: Android phones (at least the Motorola models I had) whenever the battery drained all the way down, and you plugged it into the charger, the phone turned on.

Now, say you had a fully drained phone, and had it connected to the charger, and the charger was connected to a surge protector with remote on capability. Theres a surge protector like the Belkin-Conserve-Switch-8-Outlet-Surge-Protector-with-Remote, and it has a 60 ft range on the remote.
    So, as soon as you turn on the surge protector, the phone should technically turn on as well.

Ta da!

-Krzysztof