Is there a ROM that fixes the charging issue?

Last Updated:

1. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I made the mistake of trying to drive 80 mins using my DInc as a GPS unit. Drained about 25% of my battery. On the way back I didn't use GPS, but had BT turned on. In 80 mins it charged my battery 5%. With 2.1 and this same charger I didn't have this problem. My problem there was that the battery got really hot and stopped charging. I fixed this by simply mounting the thing in front of an A/C vent. Problem solved. Now Froyo has "fixed" this overheating issue by making the phone not charge so fast so it's now basically useless as a GPS unit IMO. Is there a ROM out there that fixes this charging issue?

Advertisement
  2. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

some kernels i think have "fixed" the slow charging issue. not sure if the virtuous v2 custom does or not but i think mine charges pretty fast again. I know the kings kernels are suppose to

3. ArmchairBear

ArmchairBear Well-Known Member

If you're running an AOSP rom, the Koush Kernel that comes with Shadowrom fixes the slow charging issue. It seems to charge as fast as it used to in Eclair (2.1).

2.6.32.15-ga81a44f koush@Koushik-OSx86 #4

4. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Since you are in the root section, I'll assume you are rooted. What rom are you currently using?

5. A.Nonymous

I'm running Skyraider with Sense and the Rule the Air theme on top of it. The kernel version says it's 2.6.32.15-king-havs-oc-uv erik@ubuntu#1. I have no idea what any of that means tbh.

6. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

I ran SR Vanilla without that problem. Perhaps you can try a different kernel, i.e. Kings #5? I remember when this problem arose and I tried it myself. I loaded Radiotime, and ran the GPS Nav while plugged in to the car charger. It charged no problem so it's hard for me to replicate your issue. Maybe others can help a bit more, sorry. I guess it can't be the charger since it worked before, right?

7. A.Nonymous

It worked with non-rooted Eclair. It charged fast enough that it overheated the battery. Once I solved the overheating issue, I had no problems.

8. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Perhaps you can test out another charger? Might be worth a shot.

9. A.Nonymous

I think I'm just going to flash stock eclair over the weekend. That will tell me immediately if the issue is with the charger or not.