• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there a True Evo 4G successor coming soon?

Just a curiosity question, and not one of impatience--on average, how long from when a new phone like this new EVO comes out is rooting usually available for it? I'm just curious if I end up getting this thing in June when a root of it might be possible.
Well, the One X was S-OFF before it was even released. This being a variant of that device, I can't imagine it'll be very long.

Note, of course, that you should still be able to unlock the bootloader with HTCDev.com immediately, with the caviat that your warranty will be voided (until someone comes up with a workaround for it).

That being the case, as long as a custom recovery is available for the device, root should be no problem.

Current ROM (BootManager Slot 3): MikG v3.11 w/ICS Lite Theme - Kernel: Underworld v0.1 SBC

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I'm sure this time around, many people can agree that the EVO 4G LTE is the true "successor" for the OG EVO 4G.
icon14.gif

Reactions: EVU
Upvote 0
Assuming you're sticking with sprint? Would you get another Evo or is there something else you're eyeing up?

Realistically, the first thing I'd do is buy a cheap "back-up" phone that I'd have to always be able to use in "emergency" situations (e.g. phone repair, lost phone, etc.). Then, I'd wait until all the superphones for the year are fully released (all of them will likely be out by the end of October or November). Based on phones that are currently available and the rumored phones, it would basically be a choice of LTEvo, SGS 3, Motorola Photon Q, and LG Eclipse.

All that said, I know Best Buy was having a deal during release of LTEvo where they were giving money back for old EVO's. I could be wrong, but part of me wants to say that there were people that even had EVO's with broken screens that they got $50 to put towards an upgrade to the LTEvo.

Nontheless, everyone's take will be different, so it's best to go the route that's most comfortable for you.

Upvote 0
The ltevo is absolutely a true successor :D

How can you say the ltevo is a true successor when 4G isn't even available. Obviously, hardware is better but I'm still having serious issues with any phone on lte with the sh*** service (at least in Columbus, OH). My upgrade is in a month and I'm not sure I'm leaving just yet

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones