Is there a way I could stream my MP3s off of an FTP?

Last Updated:

1. NssOne

NssOne Member This Topic's Starter

Hey there guys. This would be my first post here now. Anyway, here's my situation: I have a NAS where I store my MP3s and I can access it anywhere through its FTP server capability. I have already been able to access the FTP using AndFTP and download files from it to play, so I'm good there. But what I would really like to do is be able to open and play the files remotely and basically just stream that song from the NAS/FTP server instead. Anybody know of a way to pull this off? Or am I going to have to bug some dev to program an app for me that does that? :D

So, yeah, if anybody has any ideas here, please, enlighten me. Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

I don't think FTP itself supports streaming.

3. LED

LED Well-Known Member

^ That's correct, you can't stream via FTP. You'll need to look into a media server like Gmote or OrbLive. There are others as well. I don't know how well any of these work.

4. NssOne

NssOne Member This Topic's Starter

Well, it's not so much 'streaming' as it is basically a temp download onto the phone and it's only on the phone while it's in use (which is pretty much what streaming does just in smaller parts). What I'm looking for is something that instantly opens from the FTP, not that I need to manually download then open up, which is kind of a waste time and space.

Well, if anybody out there truly understands what I mean then hopefully they can either point me in the right direction or can help better explain what I mean.

Thanks.

5. theajm

theajm Member

you can stream mp3 using Dropbox, which is sort of an ftp.

6. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Well that's the thing. You can't using FTP. You must download the whole thing, and then it could play. You could download it temporarily, but you would need to wait for it to download. However, HTTP itself supports streaming.