Is there a way / need to back up Android / Samsun Moment?Support

1. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

In coming from Palm, where I back up the entire OS / Data every night, and can restore from any point in time, is there similar functionality with the Android system?

Can I take a snapshot of my Samsung Moment on a regular basis and restore to it as needed?

Advertisement
  2. pastafarian

pastafarian P√Ętes avec votre foie Moderator

There are several backup programs available in the marketplace including Sprite which was one of the better WM solutions. I don't know how much is necessary. If you're using google for your pim sync, the data is continuously backed up to the cloud. You can easily export your google data via a pc if you want an additional backup. The marketplace creates an account attached to your phone so you will get back all your apps should you need to reset or get your unit swapped. There's no reason to back up the entire OS, it's in rom and the only way you loose it is if you get rid of your phone and don't get it replaced. The only reason I can see to using a backup program is for that emergency instant restore with all your icons and wallpaper in place. OTH, when I had my Moment replaced, it took ~10 minutes to have all my data back, email set up and desktop back to how I like it, no backup software needed.
    rudyru01 likes this.
  3. AndroidSPCS

Thanks, I just notice it took a while to set up the email accounts / IM / SMS, account info for apps like Google voice, application specific settings which may need to be re-done, etc. All that may take a bit of time. Not a big deal, but if it was backed up it would be easier.
  4. dersh

dersh Member

What about data from every other app? Is there any way to back that all up? Or is it necessary to do it in a unique way for every single app?
    For example, I use GooMemo for notes. I can export those to a card then save that data, but many of my apps do have some data stored. Sometimes it is small, sometimes big, and sometimes not critical, but isn't there any way to back up the full set of data files?
  5. jeffdlb

jeffdlb Well-Known Member

I, too, am very interested in the answer to this question, so I am bumping it back up to page 1.
  6. dth4310

dth4310 Member

7. dersh

dersh Member

It appears that the app backs up the apps, but what about the data. That is what has me most concerned. Isn't there a way to back up the files/databases that apps create so that if I have a problem I can restore? I could always re-download apps, but not any data that I have saved.
  8. AndroidSPCS

I think I read somewhere that the application data is stored on the microSD card.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  9. dersh

dersh Member

It is option to developers. So some apps do, for example typically photos and music are stored there. But other stuff can be or not, I believe.
  10. I just downloaded and used myBackup... There is a paid version and a free 30 days trial and I am wanting to try installing the leaked 2.1 ROM and I want to make sure that I have it backed up so if the leaked version doesn't work, I want to be able to put the same OS back on and not lose all my stuff.
  11. bob01000

bob01000 Active Member

Android is missing something here.

The original poster came from a Palm that did a complete image backup. Blackberry's do this with transfer wizard but with an Android? You get a list of programs you loaded but no settings. I used "mybackup" app on an Unrooted phone and it did little more google sync does anyway--download the apps to me. It doesn't restore your icons positions on the home screen as it say unless it's an unroot phone.

No way to backup all email accounts? No, I'm not a huge Gmail person so I used other accounts. Transferring phones on Android must be a HUGE pain.

Every user doesn't want to "mess' with their phones by rooting. I left blackberry for a phone that doesn't even offer a transfer wizard or a complete backup option (without root which voids warranty)???

It's crazy!
  12. AndroidSPCS

Actually I've transferred between a dozen devices with Android, and it couldn't be easier these days.

I use Gmail because it's the best free mail service period. Logging into my Gmail account on the phone sets up all vital data. It's quite simple really. :)