Is there a way of Sprint knowing if i'm tethering?

Last Updated:

1. cacaman

cacaman Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

If they find out what would the implications be?

Advertisement
  2. Swizz

Swizz Well-Known Member

I don't believe there is a definitive way of them saying "You're tethering". They can only assume you are by the amount of data you are consuming. As far as repricussions, I would *hope* they would send you some sort of warning, be it a phone call or letter, before proceeding to harsher consequences.

3. khaag27

khaag27 Well-Known Member

ya, they just saw your post and their pissed lol jk

4. HeikoMax

HeikoMax Well-Known Member

I don't think there is except for the amount of data usage but if one has an unlimited data plan, how could Sprint ding someone? I have read in the past that there is some fine print in Sprint's service agreement that if a user is doing something/using their service to the detriment of the network, Sprint can cancel service. What Sprint considers detrimental to the network is the big question. It could be simply using too much bandwidth in general or too much bandwidth at a particular cell site. I can only guess that if someone is tethered all day long then there could be a problem but someone who uses it sparingly, as in not for hours on end, should be okay.

People do need to be careful though. Sprint is out to get tetherers. (Yes, I made that word up.)

http://www.phonenews.com/sprint-to-ban-tethering-on-smartphones-next-year-other-plans-revealed-9444/

Also, previously discussed here:

http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/13307-sprint-plans-banning-tethering-2010-a.html

5. nathanotis

nathanotis Well-Known Member

"Unlimited" generally equates to 5gig. I don't think any carrier has a truly unlimited data plan with no cap.

6. cacaman

I got my Sprint bill this week and under data I had over 1 million but I don't remember if it is bytes or kb. Do any of you knows if it is 1GB (which I'm assuming it is) or if I went over my 5GB? I mean, what kind of activity would one need to go over 5GB?

7. aclark414

aclark414 Well-Known Member

The bill shows kb. Did you see if you had any additional charges?

8. cacaman

No no extra charges.

9. aclark414

aclark414 Well-Known Member

Your'e fine then. I do believe, as someone mentioned, that there is a 5GB cap. Not sure how carriers get away with saying it's an "unlimited" plan.

10. Greebe

Greebe Member

5gigs not! Called Sprint CS and asked them the same Q.
    Answer given twice was "no limit w/ an unlimited plan". Also told that I must have got the '5' # from their data only plan which does have a limit.

Again unlimited plans have no limit and that's a good thing as I'm averaging >6g/m without .tethering or heavy dling

11. iCrash

iCrash Active Member

It makes no sense to me to ban tethering on smartphones when their browsers load webpages almost exactly the same as a PC. Granted some flash doesn't work but that is because the browser on the phone sucks, not because they don't want to support it. And anyway the data usage differences are minimal. I would rather them put a cap on my data usage and give me tethering then have unlimited data usage and no tethering. I tether using PDAnet maybe 8 hours a week and all I am doing is browsing webpages and watching the occasional youtube video. This must be because of customers that use their phone as their main source of internet and sit there day in a day out downloading songs off iTunes and using BitTorrent.

12. Greebe

Greebe Member

Sprint blocks the ports torrents use

13. iCrash

iCrash Active Member

I just tried it out and it worked. Where'd you hear that they block the ports?

14. Greebe

Greebe Member

3gtest

Decided to check again and the ports are now open. Odd but cool ;)

15. fvkenzz

fvkenzz Member

i was wondering when you tether on the sprint network, do the IP's change? with t-mobile new IPs are generated and if its the same deal on the sprint network.

16. cooolone2

cooolone2 Well-Known Member

The I.P. is the I.P. ... but they will be able to tell that your USAGE has increased.

If you are tethering and only accessing full regular coded sites as opposed to Mobile versions, your data usage will substantially increase. What's interesting is there IS a data limit in you account, but to my knowledge Sprint has yet to enforce it. The NEW EVO data package also has a limit, we'll see what happens there too once the EVO is rooted and people set it up as WiFi hot spots and data usage jumps there. ;)

So anyway... No, there really is no way for them to know unless they get INTO your phone.

:cool:

17. RKMJ

RKMJ Active Member

I know for sure that on Sprint's "Simply Everything" plan, there is no cap on data. I've been on that plan for 3 years now and have used insane amounts of data, (yes I have been over 5GB) and have been perfectly fine.

18. dsavage

dsavage Well-Known Member

I don't think they can tell whether or not you're tethered now, and I don't think they really care at this point, either.

They (like every other carrier and electronic media distributor) are working on ways to ensure that people will be paying for what they use. The trick is figuring out a way to do it without alienating a huge number of your best customers. And, of course, not giving up the bonus revenue from the millions of customers who don't even come close to using the bandwidth required for Sprint to lose money on them. (I have to figure that they clean up on these folks the way rental car companies clean up on people who prepay for the full tank of gas and return it 3/4 full.)

Tiered pricing & caps, or a cost per unit plans, are coming. Download while you can still afford it. :D

19. mwaugh

mwaugh New Member

They could analyse the traffic and see if you are running applications that run on something other then your phone. For example if you use a Web browser it will identify itself in a variety of ways.

So yes - they certainly could figure out if you are tethering. Would they bother - got me.

Mat