• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there a way to check mobile device for hackers?

Phoenix777

Android Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2016
For instance, on my Mac laptop it's a simple Terminal command that shows you if anyone has tried to log in remotely. It also lists the current user(s). Is there something equivalent (without being rooted) to check this on my mobile device? I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 + Nook.

FWIW on Mac OS X, which is type of Unix, you might have root access, provided you know the root/admin password. If it's not your Mac, like it's a company machine, it's likely you don't have root access. One thing Android, doesn't include any root/admin user auditing tools, unlike OS X, and usually there's no terminal either, unless you specifically install a terminal app.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I understand what you wanted to do, but you don't have access to that level of details in Android, direct from the keyboard.
Unless the phone is rooted.
Yeah I didn't think so. Oh well. Just thought I would ask.
FWIW on Mac OS X, which is type of Unix, you might have root access, provided you know the root/admin password. If it's not your Mac, like it's a company machine, it's likely you don't have root access. One thing Android, doesn't include any root/admin user auditing tools, unlike OS X, and usually there's no terminal either, unless you specifically install a terminal app.
Yes it's my Mac and I'm the admin so that's like root. I wish Android would make this the standard like Mac. Ah well. Thanks for your replies everyone!

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Yeah I didn't think so. Oh well. Just thought I would ask.

Yes it's my Mac and I'm the admin so that's like root.

It is root. :)

I wish Android would this the standard like Mac. Ah well. Thanks for your replies everyone!

Difference is though, Mac OS X is a full blown Unix system, with all the standard Unix command line tools. Android, although it uses a Linux kernel, is basically a mobile, like embedded OS, which just has what it needs to work, like on a phone or something.

Reactions: svim and Phoenix777
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones