Is there a way to disable application labels?

Last Updated:

1. Sprockethead

Sprockethead Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello everyone. Is there a feature or a check box that I am missing that allows you to turn off the little text labels beneath the application icons on the home screen?

I'm kind of doubtful, but a search did not return an answer. It would certainly clean up the home screen. Plus a lot of labels are "cut off" due to length and that is just annoying.

I am a little OCD. But this MUST have been brought up before or suggested to android dev at some point...

Any advice is appreciated!!

Advertisement
  2. GaryColeman

GaryColeman Well-Known Member

I never saw it in the stock HTC launcher. I use ADW launcher and one of the configuration options is to hide the icon labels.

3. RoboMonkey

RoboMonkey Well-Known Member

4. Sprockethead

Thanks for the replies.

What is ADW Launcher? An app?

5. Bomix

Bomix Well-Known Member

Yeah was going to say the same thing, if you wanted a clean look you can use ADW launcher which has that option your looking for.

6. Sprockethead

Wow - What an awesome app! Glad I found it. Now I can stop trying to install new ROMs to get a different look and feel.

Here is my ONE gripe, but it is a big one. I really, really prefer opening the app "drawer" and seeing a list of apps, instead of a big grid. Sense has that option, and nobody else seems to.

Oh well, so far nothing is perfect, but ADW.Launcher is the closest. I'll give it a shot.

Oh, it also got rid of the labels, which is what I wanted.

Thanks for the suggestion.

7. Sprockethead

No HTC Widgets! Strike 2. I'm still giving it a chance, though.

8. GaryColeman

There is another app called Launcher Pro that seems popular as well. I don't know if that has the list functionality you want (I never looked for it in ADW).

9. GaryColeman

What widgets to you miss? There are many replacements in the Market. Some are free and some cost $1 or $2. There is Beautiful home for time/weather widget (~$2) but you can customize much more that the stock widget. There are also many toggle control apps.

10. acp

acp Well-Known Member

no list functionality in launcher pro, but you definitely can remove labels, which imo is the best feature along with editing the dock.

11. effluent

effluent Well-Known Member

I like ADW over Launcher Pro, seems to be more customization options. As for Sense widget replacements, the two I missed were Friend Stream and News. If you use Friend Stream replace it with Pure Messenger Widget..it also scrolls and is actually a lot better and you can add sms, gmail, pop mail, etc. into the stream besides just Facebook and Twitter or any combo there of. The News widget is the big one for me and cannot find anything similar. A lot of rss readers out there but no scrollable widgets that I've found.