Is there a way to migrate all apps from one Android phone to another??

Last Updated:

1. cybercruiser

cybercruiser Well-Known Member

It will be awhile before I get my next Android phone, but am curious, when that day comes, is there an easy way(or any way) to migrate all apps from my current Droid to whatever I get next??

Best bet at the moment is it will be a HTC Android phone. But, who knows what will be out then, it's at least 7 months away.

Advertisement
  2. soulfetcher13

soulfetcher13 Well-Known Member

All downloads from the market should be backed up automatically and restored from android to android. The disclaimer is obviously an Os difference which would limit availability
  3. cybercruiser

Backed up where?

How would they get restored to a new phone?

I'm assuming that switching to a new Android phone some day, the new phone will either be the same version, or slightly newer than the Android I'm coming from.
  4. vandyblackandgold

vandyblackandgold Well-Known Member

on the google cloud. they are linked to your google account. you will technically have to re-download all your apps, but the first time you bring up the market, it will keep track of the ones you have 'purchased' under downloads and you just re-install them.

which reminds me, heed my warning....

after getting my first droid, i had to take it in after 3 days to the vzw store for them to look at. they determined to just give me a new phone. she took my droid and the new droid to their cellbrite machine and transferred my contacts. when they do this and then you link your new phone to your google account, because there are contacts already on the phone, it replaces the google cloud backup you had with a new backup file based off of your "new" contact list. when this happens, you have essentially created a brand new back-up file. the problem is in this instance, you lose everything, including your market downloads.

i was hot. thankfully i had not paid for any apps at that time, so it wasnt a huge deal, but if you have dropped some money on apps, please be sure your vzw "tech" knows what they are doing and understands this.

fyi...
  5. cybercruiser

Haven't paid for any apps I've downloaded, but didn't really want to have to keep track and reinstall them all on the new phone. Was just hoping some way porting all the apps to the new phone(in the future) would be easy.
  6. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!! VIP Member

You could try using Astro File Manager (ASTRO File Manager for Android - Productivity) to back-up all of your non-private apps. This will allow you to simply move the SD card to the new phone and the restore the apps.

I have not tried this and this is simply theory, but I assume that Astro is backing up the full file for the apps and therefore would do a fresh install when restoring the apps.

If you try this, let us know if it works.

Kratos
  7. mixpix

mixpix Well-Known Member

So the moral of the story is: If you have all of your contacts and information on an account that syncs, don't let the person in the store transfer your data?

Make sure you Factory Reset your phone if you have to take it back so that someone else doesn't get your info.
  8. njKeever

njKeever Well-Known Member

I use Titanium Backup. Unlike (I believe) having your new phone download them from the Market restoring with TB also restores all of your app data (saved games, settings, etc). Plus it only takes a couple minutes as opposed to downloading all of them from the Market. It even restores paid apps.
  9. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!! VIP Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Titanium Backup for rooted users only? Which is why it is able to backup the private (paid and some free) apps.

Kratos
  10. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

Now if they'd just make it so it auto accepts each app in the market. Hitting the install button for 60 apps is annoying.
  11. mazz0310

mazz0310 Well-Known Member

They do, you just have to pay for it. The donate version is one click and it reinstalls everything.
  12. njKeever

njKeever Well-Known Member

Sorry, it does require root. I'm not sure if it has any stock functionality or not. And mazz is correct, one click and all of your apps are restored.
  13. AppMonster is a free program that backs up all your apps to /sd so between that and Astro you should be all set. No Root required. It's also good if you want to save backups of currently installed versions of an app just in case you don't like an update to a particular app.
  14. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

I use MyBackup Pro.. can backup all data and apps to your SD card or online to their servers
    djkeller3 likes this.