• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is there a way to password protect sd card and...

hortstu

Android Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2010
I'd like to password protect my evo. First I'd like to restrict access if someone tries to read it the sd on a computer. Second I'd like to make it so that just plugging my evo into a usb doesn't allow access to anything w/o a password. Is this possible?

Wow I'm shocked... I can't believe there isn't a app for that. Thanks for the link az. that's a start. I would pay for an app that just restricts access to the sd and phone memory via usb. Afterall I have my phone password protected... what's the point if someone can just plug it into their computer and get access to everything. This really only makes the phone and text feature useless... which I could care much less about.

Upvote 0
I m confused (never had a blackberry) but given that if I had your phone, and you have a password on it....and I plug it into a usb I would have to have said password to get into the phone and switch to hard drive ..I would have to remove the sd card.

How does android interact with things like this
SD Card High-Security Features for Embedded Systems&Linux

oh and what is password for "credentials storage" in the security menu option?

I don't know any of this stuff. I don't keep anything on the phone that I would consider to be "sensitive" material

Upvote 0
Blackberries = Corporate and Business Users (Lots of security features)
Android = Rebels! Who wanna to be FREE!!
iOS = Snobs to wanna be alone..

lol, i think you go it!

yeah, i don't either have sensitive material on my card. but wouldn't just setting up the lock screen pattern lock do the trick? i've never even enabled this.

EDIT: lock screen pattern enabled, connect to pc set as charge only with ask me unchecked. wouldn't this lock anyone out that didn't know your pattern?

Upvote 0
I m confused (never had a blackberry) but given that if I had your phone, and you have a password on it....and I plug it into a usb I would have to have said password to get into the phone and switch to hard drive ..I would have to remove the sd card.

How does android interact with things like this
SD Card High-Security Features for Embedded Systems&Linux

oh and what is password for "credentials storage" in the security menu option?

I don't know any of this stuff. I don't keep anything on the phone that I would consider to be "sensitive" material

That's an interesting idea, but I don't think it would work right out of the box. It would probably have to be made to work with android. I'll have to look into that.

Anyway, here's an app that works kind of like truecrypt:

SecretVaultpro - Android app on AppBrain

Reactions: Matlock
Upvote 0
yeah, i don't either have sensitive material on my card. but wouldn't just setting up the lock screen pattern lock do the trick? i've never even enabled this.

EDIT: lock screen pattern enabled, connect to pc set as charge only with ask me unchecked. wouldn't this lock anyone out that didn't know your pattern?

Maybe, but what if someone wants to pop out the sd card and put it in a card reader... that I assume is not protected.

Upvote 0
I got this one:
App Protector Pro | Android Apps - Best Android App Reviews | Android-Apps.com
And it works perfect.

Set it up to lock any app you want and all apps that can access your SD card.

I have a widget on one of my screens for this app.
(click to turn on - instantly locks all apps you have previously selected in your settings... click to turn off - enter your password or lock pattern and its off)

Its great because you can lock the market and settings so that no one can uninstall it or disable it.. lock gallery, but still use the camera..lock messages and mail apps...

Whenever you want to hand your phone to someone, click the widget to instantly lock it down.
They can do anything on your phone, other than the apps you dont want them in. They dont belong in your gallery or astro gmail anyway.

It doesnt encrypt the sd card, but itll keep them out of it.

Reactions: Mr. Ed
Upvote 0
Right keep unwanted guests off the sd via the phone but how do you protect an sd card when it is removed from the phone?

I got this one:
App Protector Pro | Android Apps - Best Android App Reviews | Android-Apps.com
And it works perfect.

Set it up to lock any app you want and all apps that can access your SD card.

I have a widget on one of my screens for this app.
(click to turn on - instantly locks all apps you have previously selected in your settings... click to turn off - enter your password or lock pattern and its off)

Its great because you can lock the market and settings so that no one can uninstall it or disable it.. lock gallery, but still use the camera..lock messages and mail apps...

Whenever you want to hand your phone to someone, click the widget to instantly lock it down.
They can do anything on your phone, other than the apps you dont want them in. They dont belong in your gallery or astro gmail anyway.

It doesnt encrypt the sd card, but itll keep them out of it.

Upvote 0
Its under the battery which is under the door. So someone would have to have enough time to get that off. Just for that reason, i dont normally let the phone out of my sight with someoen i dont trust.
But if its stolen, then i dont know what to do, i think its just stolen. Lol

Right. Thanks. That's the solution that interests me the most. I wish I knew how to code... or had the time to learn for that matter.

Upvote 0
Security has always been an issue for smartphone in corporations. That's why we see most business are still using BlackBerry. My company is now allowing the use of iPhone but not Android. I believe the reason is iPhone doesn't have removable storage and you can remotely wipe the device. You can wipe Android phone but if someone has already remove your SD card then they can get hold of your contents on the SD card. There are apps but I'm favor of secure the entire SD card at the OS level. That is so I can save anything without worry about securing the file after saved. SD stands for Secured Digital but yet, there is nothing secured about it. I think it's time for all electronic maker to make use of SD card to its name.

Upvote 0
Mine did, but in order to read it you had to set it to read/write in the options, which you couldn't do unless you had the phone unloacked and in your hands. I stumbled onto this whenever I had to take the card out to read it, and had to stick it baack in and turn it on to read/write in order to read it. I know it sounds backwards, but that's how it worked for me.

Upvote 0
Personally think if you have confidential material on your sd card your just asking for trouble anyways. Clouds are more secure than digital cards.

Oh and for a heads up the Secure digital has nothing to do with the "Security" of the Card it has to do with the ability to read write and store. It's Secure for doing so. Unlike Floppy disk that would only take so much reading writing and storing before they began to fail. Comparatively the SD Card will last much longer than a floppy under the same use. So you can Securely take it from the Camera over to the phone over to the Computer with no issues (Theoretically)

Upvote 0
Personally think if you have confidential material on your sd card your just asking for trouble anyways. Clouds are more secure than digital cards.

Oh and for a heads up the Secure digital has nothing to do with the "Security" of the Card it has to do with the ability to read write and store. It's Secure for doing so. Unlike Floppy disk that would only take so much reading writing and storing before they began to fail. Comparatively the SD Card will last much longer than a floppy under the same use. So you can Securely take it from the Camera over to the phone over to the Computer with no issues (Theoretically)

Where is St. Mary's Georgia? Cause I live in Athens Ga and work at St Mary's :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones