• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is there a Way to Root HTC One V without a PC?

hecteezyxd

Lurker
Nov 3, 2012
I was thinking that maybe there is a way to root my HTC one v without having to get all down and tec-y with a PC with a program that's downloaded something like z4root, if you've guys ever heard of it. I'm just really stressed with trying to root this phone because I want to so badly and I've been constantly looking up roots straight from the phone and NOTHING has been working for me, and what makes it more difficult is that I know absolutely nothing about rooting, like all the abbreviations such as ROMS or bootloader. I have no clue what a lot of these things are. And yes, I know, I'm a noob. Please just help! Much appreciated! - btw, my carrier is Virgin Mobile if it matters.

I was thinking that maybe there is a way to root my HTC one v without having to get all down and tec-y with a PC with a program that's downloaded something like z4root, if you've guys ever heard of it. I'm just really stressed with trying to root this phone because I want to so badly and I've been constantly looking up roots straight from the phone and NOTHING has been working for me, and what makes it more difficult is that I know absolutely nothing about rooting, like all the abbreviations such as ROMS or bootloader. I have no clue what a lot of these things are. And yes, I know, I'm a noob. Please just help! Much appreciated! - btw, my carrier is Virgin Mobile if it matters.

Probably not what you wanted...But I was able to root my HTC One V with my MacBook. All you need are the "adb" and "fastboot" tools from the android developer kit...

As far as answering your question, I doubt it is possible to root the HTC One V without a PC, Mac or Linux box with a working "adb" and "fastboot" programs from the Android Developer Toolkit....

Reactions: hecteezyxd
Upvote 0
Probably not what you wanted...But I was able to root my HTC One V with my MacBook. All you need are the "adb" and "fastboot" tools from the android developer kit...

As far as answering your question, I doubt it is possible to root the HTC One V without a PC, Mac or Linux box with a working "adb" and "fastboot" programs from the Android Developer Toolkit....

That's actually helpful because my girlfriend has a mac book, so I'll most likely be able to do it through hers. But where exactly can I find these programs that you're talking about? And once I find them, do they have instructions on how to root it? And also what are the benefits of rooting your HTC One V? Thanks! - Hector

Upvote 0
Are you sure that you want to root your phone?

If you don't know any of the commands to do it, let alone what they do, you're quite likely to simply brick your phone at some point and not be able to get it to a functioning state again.

When your phone is rooted it is much more vulnerable to malicious code. It's also very vulnerable to damage caused by making simple mistakes. You're currently protected from this by the fact that you don't have root access to your phone, and neither do most of the apps.

Upvote 0
Here's how to get the sdk -

http://androidforums.com/faqs/443072-adb-guide-updated-12-05-2011-a.html

It's not for your phone, but here's how to get a handle on using the mini-sdk linked inside there -

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte-all-things-root/572162-how-get-full-root-mac.html

Don't follow those instructions. Just check them out for the overall idea.

If I can, I'll try to look over the instructions here and see if I can help any. No guarantees or promises, so it's best if the other poster chimes in, having done it for this specific phone.

Upvote 0
Ok - I just checked this guide - http://androidforums.com/one-v-all-things-root/543850-guide-how-root-htc-one-v.html

It's pretty much the same as mine -

1. Get HTCdev s-on/unlock. Follow my instructions.

2. Get custom recovery - follow my instructions but substitute with the CWM recovery that works for your phone, and use the fastboot install command (I show how for the Mac, use the CWM file name there instead of the TWRP one in mine).

3. Flash something to get root. For your phone following your guide, that's just all from the sd card, so you're off the Mac on to success at that point.

:)

Reactions: CafeKampuchia
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones