• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is there a way to set a ringtone for non-contacts?

WhizGidget

Aug 17, 2010
Hi all,

I've been rockin' out with Android for over 3 years now, and I've got a pretty new shiny HTC One (which I love and adore). But what I really want to be able to do is to set a ringtone for anyone who isn't a contact in my phone.

Now, I know there's a workaround where I can set a specific ringtone for all of my *other* contacts, and use the default ringtone for non-contacts, but I've got at least 100 people in my phone and I don't really want to touch all of them to do this - and I would, either to assign a ringtone or assign to a group and then assign a ringtone.

Anyone know of a faster way, or an app that could accomplish this? I looked heavily at Ringo (I'm using Ringo Lite so that I can customize text tones for individual contacts, and I'd like to keep using it), but it doesn't have that capability either.

Any bright ideas, folks? Everyone's always got a good idea around here.

Make them into a group and assign a ringtone. You might have to do it one by one unless there is an app that makes groups like the old Blackberry.

There's a join command on my phone - Nexus 4 - does that link into a group?

I've got several for certain friends, one for acquaintances, one for business, one for unknown, and a silent for spammers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones