Support Is there a way to set a ringtone for non-contacts?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by WhizGidget, Sep 13, 2013.

1. WhizGidget

WhizGidget Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Hi all,

I've been rockin' out with Android for over 3 years now, and I've got a pretty new shiny HTC One (which I love and adore). But what I really want to be able to do is to set a ringtone for anyone who isn't a contact in my phone.

Now, I know there's a workaround where I can set a specific ringtone for all of my *other* contacts, and use the default ringtone for non-contacts, but I've got at least 100 people in my phone and I don't really want to touch all of them to do this - and I would, either to assign a ringtone or assign to a group and then assign a ringtone.

Anyone know of a faster way, or an app that could accomplish this? I looked heavily at Ringo (I'm using Ringo Lite so that I can customize text tones for individual contacts, and I'd like to keep using it), but it doesn't have that capability either.

Any bright ideas, folks? Everyone's always got a good idea around here.

Advertisement
  2. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Make them into a group and assign a ringtone. You might have to do it one by one unless there is an app that makes groups like the old Blackberry.

There's a join command on my phone - Nexus 4 - does that link into a group?

I've got several for certain friends, one for acquaintances, one for business, one for unknown, and a silent for spammers.

3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    Guide

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Are you syncing the contacts to Google? If you are, all phone contacts showing up on your phone is part of a default Group callrd MyContacts. All new contacts you add also go to this by default. Just give that group a specific ringtone.

Tags: