Is there a way to set wifi priority?

1. jroryl

jroryl Active Member

I have 2 Access Points in my house broadcasting 2 different SSID

Advertisement
  2. jroryl

jroryl Active Member

No one? Maybe this should this be in another forum since it's not necessary a rooting question?
  3. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Well I haven't answered because I don't know.. but I just went and played around in the WiFi settings and there doesn't seem to be any way to order the networks, so I don't think you can. Unless I'm missing something obvious.
  4. jroryl

jroryl Active Member

I can accept a "I don't know" :) Thanks for looking, just wanted to make sure there wasn't a script\app of sorts ...
  5. supersaki

supersaki Well-Known Member

6. vincentp

It must have some method of choosing which one is first... shot in the dark here but alphabetical order maybe? It's obviously not picking the one with the strongest signal in his case.
  7. jroryl

jroryl Active Member

Interesting, alphabetical, it is following that I'll try to reverse the names, Thanks!

supersaki: If the above doesn't work I'll play with the channels. I don't believe the AP I have support extended. (If you mean a bridged networks)
  8. Mike_B

Mike_B Well-Known Member

Do the APs access the same network (just with different SSIDs)?
  9. jroryl

jroryl Active Member

10. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

have you tried Wifi Analyzer.. I believe in that you can set your AP - a preferred first connection to try
  11. jroryl

jroryl Active Member

I didn't find the "preferred" AP choice in Wifi Analyzer but got me to think, my AP that it likes is connecting to the best channel AP (based on what Wifi Analyzer shows), so I swapped the channels the AP's broadcast (they were set to "Auto") and it seems to be connecting the way I want. Obviously more testing needs to be performed when I get back from my camping trip.

Thanks all!
  12. vincentp

Interesting find though. That may be useful to others if it turns out to be true.
  13. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

I used WiFi Analyer to find the best channel on my router and switched channels. For over a year I was on a weaker channel, this pointed that out.

I also use it when I travel to find good open wifi signal.

as for AP preferred choice.. settings > "Set my AP" is right there in the settings tray!
  14. supersaki

supersaki Well-Known Member

Interesting app. I never played with it much. It does have the 'Set my AP', but I found you have to be in the Channel Rating view.
  15. Mike_B

Mike_B Well-Known Member

Why are you using multiple SSIDs to access the same network?
  16. jroryl

jroryl Active Member

So I know which AP I'm actually connecting too.

Forgot about this thread ....I set the "Please select your AP" in Wifi analyzer, didn't seem to change the priority of which one I connected too. Based on Wifi analyzer, it said channel 1 was the worst and channel 11 was the best, so I set the AP that it "likes" to broadcast channel 1 and the stupid (not literally, love the phone) phone still stays connected to it. It's probably because it's the first one it connects to (closer) when I come home. I would have thought that once I'm in my office where the other AP is (meaning it's about 2 feet away) it would automatically connect to that one.
  17. Mike_B

Mike_B Well-Known Member

Why not just do what typical multiple access point wireless installations do and just give the APs the same SSID (just using different channels)? Then as you roam the house, the phone should then use the best AP, rather than trying to get it to constantly switch networks.

I would think the constant switching would have an effect on battery-life as well.
  18. wilmer000

wilmer000 Member

Similar problem, but next door's router! "open" but password protected bt signal overrules my house signal. My phone gets stuck constantly trying to access their WiFi, leaving me offline! Can anyone help, please!??
  19. teddyearp

teddyearp A guide with guides Guide

menu -> settings -> wireless & networks -> Wi-Fi settings -> network notifications: uncheck the box.

good luck