Is there a way to turn on wifi, without the phone service on (ie airplane mode)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by drdms37, Feb 5, 2010.

1. drdms37

drdms37 Member

Oct 29, 2009
    I am leaving the country and would like to be able to check my email using wifi, but want to prevent getting roaming charges incase the data/phone connection kicks on. I know that if you turn on airplane mode, it will not allow you to turn on wifi. Is there a way, or an app that will allow you to do this.

Thanks

Advertisement

2. treborcj

treborcj Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I believe you just need to turn off mobile network. Airplane mode disables all wireless connections.

3. cooolone2

cooolone2 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    New York
    Settings>Wireless> then turn off all you want, like Mobile Network, roaming, etc.

I would suggest trying this prior to leaving the country to validate it works the way you want.

Hope that answers your Q...

:cool:

4. armandov99

armandov99 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Los Angeles
    It seems to me like "Mobile Network" only turns off data, not the CDMA radio. I turn off mobile network and I lose the EVDO icon and I have no data, but I can still receive calls.

If the OP wants to turn off the CDMA radio completely and have the phone function more as a pocket PC with just WiFi. I haven't figured out how to do this...

5. treborcj

Dec 11, 2009
    You are right, still getting calls. Go to menu > settings > Wireless controls> mobile network settings > mode of operation and change to EVDO-only. I did not get the call after that.

6. drdms37

drdms37 Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Thanks, that works perfectly

7. sprucebeach

sprucebeach Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2009
    As I understand it the user wants to use wi-fi at, say, an overseas wireless hotspot. Won't the solution above allow an EVDO connection which will incur data-roaming charges? Data roaming is only free in the U.S.

8. oldjackbob

oldjackbob Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Download the Airplane Mode Wi-Fi app from the market. That will do what you need.

9. treborcj

Dec 11, 2009
  10. Great APP, works perfectly on a Sprint Hero.

Tags: