Is there a wifi tether for non rooted that works ?General

Last Updated:

1. TeachMe

TeachMe Well-Known Member

Hey guys looking for wifi tether that works even ad-hoc mode is cool

2. AndroidHaCks

AndroidHaCks Well-Known Member Contributor

FoxFi might work for you. It would emit WiFi but when someone would try to connect to it, it got stuck at "obtaining IP address"
  3. sneaky_1

sneaky_1 Well-Known Member

Same here. Rooting is the only way I got tethering to work, with WiFi tether for root.
  4. smartmanvartan

smartmanvartan Well-Known Member Contributor

sneaky_1 likes this.
  5. spoooner

spoooner Member

6. 50RC3R3R

50RC3R3R New Member

PDANET+ with foxfi addon doesn't require *root , it costs like 7 bux though. it does tether and wifi.
  7. macthefloorguy

macthefloorguy New Member

I just joined this forum and I am pretty much computer illiterate, age 62 and self taught. I just bought a Kyocera Rise, my first Android phone, and I'm trying to tether it to my laptop. I read reviews on Tethering software and the Easy Driver received very high reviews. I'm showing it is now downloaded on my phone, but I need to install a driver on my laptop, which is running Windows Vista 32 bit. This is a free program, and they have upgrades for $10 to $20 bucks, one of which, I think, turns your Android into a wi fi hotspot. I'm away from home and using a T Mobile 4 G hotspot right now, and having that feature available on my phone would be awesome, since I just bought a new Vizeo 3d TV with wi fi, etc. , and a Samsung 3d wi fi bluray player. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mac
    PS, I just thought I would mention, I have no idea what "rooted" means. This is the Virgiin phone, not Sprint. The reason I bought the T mobile no contract hot spot is that they have far better coverage "in the boonies" when we travel, so I can use my Sprint network phone, my laptop, etc. anywhere. The Virgin has UNLIMITED data and text included for $35, and I don't use many talk minutes anymore. Wi fi minutes are not charged against your 300 included minutes, and from what I was told, T mobile no longer has "free" wi fi minutes.
  8. macthefloorguy

macthefloorguy New Member

Just wondered how you liked your phone. I looked at the Optimus Elite but boughtt the Kyocera Rise. From what I remember, the Optimus had a better camera, but lacked a slide out keyboard. This is my first Android, just activated it last night and am trying to Tether using EasyTether program which had outstanding ratings from thousands of users. I still don't have the Tether working, but I'm pretty much computer illiterate, don't know what rooting means,etc. My phone is a Virgin, not the Sprint version. I will have to figure out why whenever my finger gets near the screen, it causes things to happen. Don't know if this is normal or not. The phone is really nice for the money spent, but it's going to take me a while to learn how to use it.
  9. psj2539

psj2539 Member

" Rooting is often performed with the goal of overcoming limitations that carriers and hardware manufacturers put on some devices, resulting in the ability to alter or replace system applications and settings, run specialized apps that require administrator-level permissions, or perform other operations that are otherwise inaccessible to a normal Android user. On Android, rooting can also facilitate the complete removal and replacement of the device's operating system, usually with a more recent release of its current operating system"