Is there an app able to transfer folders (over wifi)?

1. AngelicCore

AngelicCore Well-Known Member

Tried using Kies air,Wifi file transfer and airdroid and still am unable to find an app that is able to do a simple thing like copying a folder with the underlying folder hierarchy still in place..

Each of these programs take the files from inside the selected folder.

So i am unable to practically just copy paste a folder like in windows. :mad:

ty

Advertisement
    :
  2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Not sure if MyPhoneExplorer would do it, but it's worth a go.
  3. Benjie

Benjie Well-Known Member

Not a problem. Using an application like ES File Explore you can transfer from desktop to phone all you want.
  4. dvhttn

dvhttn Well-Known Member

I use File Manager from Rhythm SW ( ... https://play.google.com/store/apps/...lt#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5yaG1zb2Z0LmZtIl0. ... ). Just tested and I copied a zip file in a folder which was contained in another folder, from a Windows XP Pro box to my phone - purely using the phone - whilst preserving the hierarchy. Just 'copied' the top level folder and 'pasted' to my SDCard.

NB: the XP box had already been set up to 'share' some file systems.

HTH

Dave
  5. AngelicCore

thanks guys i'll try all the apps mentioned and hope they work.
    @dvhttn
    from what i understood you copied a zip file containing folders but i meant copying folders with subfolders and lots of files scattered within
  6. dvhttn

dvhttn Well-Known Member

No. I copied a folder, which had a folder inside of that and in that folder was a file. It just so happened that the file happened to be a zip file. You read my post wrong but it was explained correctly, though I suppose I could have made it a little clearer ..... :D I copied that particular folder as it 'had stuff' in it and it was fairly small.

Just because you asked nicely ..... I copied another folder the same way. This folder was from a different XP share and was a single folder with 9 files (MP3s) in it. Total size of 81.7MB according to Mr. XP Properties. All copied fine.

HTH.

Dave
  7. AngelicCore

Sweet :)
    thanks mate for the clarification
  8. jchappo

jchappo New Member

ASTRO File Manager transfers folder structures via WiFi.
  9. tcat007

tcat007 Well-Known Member

Airdroid works well too.
  10. AngelicCore

sadly i have problems logging on time my pc / pc shares from the mobile

so i was hoping for it to be the other way around

Access my phone storage through wifi/bluetooth using my computer PLUS being able to tranfer folder structures? :)
  11. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues - Crazy peacock person - Guide

First, note that all my computers are Linux, so your mileage may vary. But I would imagine that Android apps should work the same regardless of the OSes on the computers they're connecting to. So, with that said, Airdroid works perfectly for me in exactly the manner you're hoping for.

I just tried it to make sure.

. fired up Airdroid on my phone
    . logged in via my laptop over wi-fi
    . selected the 'Android' directory (or 'folder' as you windows people call them :p)
    . chose to 'Download as ZIP' the 'Android' directory
    . after the download was complete, I went to the directory on my laptop where I had downloaded the zipped file
    . unzipped it
    . its entire hierarchy, including several subfolders with files in them, unzipped exactly as expected

Would you care to give some details on how/what/why Airdroid doesn't work in this manner for you? :confused:
  12. AngelicCore

I am trying to do the opposite :)

I have a folder full of songs which are spread across lots of appropriately named folders (Artist Names)

I am trying to upload that folder "as it is" to the phone.

Doesn't work...it just searches inside the folder you select for audio files and copies them into a single directory. :(
  13. MoodyBlues

Okay, I'm thoroughly baffled. :eek:

From this:

I deduced that you want to "access my phone storage through wifi/bluetooth using my computer." Correct? Using your COMPUTER to access the phone, right?

But then you say:

So which is it? :confused:

Did you happen to read the 'help' for Airdroid? Just wondering. I never had! However, when I attempted to UPLOAD a directory using my default browser, SeaMonkey, I could SEE the 'select folder' option (along with 'select file'), but it wasn't selectable. :confused: So I scratched my head wondering WTF?! Downloading worked, so it wasn't a file system issue Airdroid was having with my Linux hard drive...so uploading a 'folder' should work, too.

When ALL else fails...I've been known to read manuals, help files, etc. But ONLY when all else fails. :D

Guess what I learned? The 'select folder' option ONLY works with Chrome. So I fired up Chrome, logged in on it to my phone via Airdroid, and was perfectly able to upload an entire directory plus subdirectories, with their hierarchies intact, onto my phone's SD card.

The moral of the story: Fire up Airdroid from Chrome and try again. :)
    AngelicCore likes this.
  14. AngelicCore

My main browser is chrome so i am confused :eek:

Maybe i'll try again tomorrow and see if it works :smokingsomb:
  15. Mehta23

Mehta23 Guides Guide

Firstly, woop woop chrome.

Secondly, yeah, I would have thought to click on 'upload folder' and it would work....
  16. AngelicCore

hmm not working
    yes you can select a folder using chrome
    but all it does is open all files in that folder and subfolders and copy them as a whole

btw even in chrome drag and drop is not working :(

[​IMG]
  17. AngelicCore

wait, actually it is working, maybe a short sight by me

Still as the previous image shows, it is not possible to drag and drop

but that wasn't my original question.. so i guess thanks a lot guys :)
  18. MoodyBlues

You're confusing me again! :p :)

Then:

Isn't the latter what you want? Copying the entire directory STRUCTURE to the phone? Directories, subdirectories, files in all the subdirectories, etc.?

Would you mind posting a screenshot sequence of what you're doing? That might help solve the mystery. When I use the 'select folder' option, I navigate to the directory I want, single left-click on it (to highlight it), and then select 'open.' That's it--the directory and all its contents upload to my phone.

I don't normally drag and drop (I'm an old UNIX person :D), but I tried just now to see. I got exactly the same result you did.
  19. m4p

m4p Member

I have Astro File Manager and I'm wondering how to do this. All I have is bluetooth option.
  20. jchappo

jchappo New Member

Under Locations, select Scan Local Network. This should then show your Windows Workgroup.
    Select Workgroup and all Windows computers in your Workgroup should be displayed.
    Select the computer you want, and a list of your shared directories will be displayed. Carry on from there.
    Long clicking on an item will highlight the item and also show options in the status bar. You may copy, move or delete.
    When copying or moving, scroll through to the location you want to copy to, and then paste.
    m4p likes this.
  21. AngelicCore

It's ok,
    It worked in the end :)

It wasn't giving me the impression of doing what i wanted but at the end it was the same result
  22. MoodyBlues

Great! As long as you're able to do what you wanted, it's all good. :D
  23. m4p

m4p Member

Thanks, but I'm not find anywhere where I can scan local network. I looked within Astro and also under the phone's settings. I know, it's probably staring me in the face.

One other thing, not sure if it makes a difference but my PC is ethernet wired.