Is there an app for that?

Last Updated:

1. paradigmteacher

paradigmteacher Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys, wondering if it is possible to download an app that basically gives you gps locating but using cell phone towers instead of your data package. Someone told me there is an app similar to this that uses the cell phone towers to give a fairly accurate location. Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. chris 290

chris 290 Well-Known Member

GPS does not cost you data
    Google maps does only because it down loads the maps. Its not GPS location that's costing though.

3. paradigmteacher

paradigmteacher Member This Topic's Starter

Yes im aware of that, is there an app that will let me use a type of map system by utilizing gps instead of data, there is one for iphone.

4. chris 290

chris 290 Well-Known Member

Then you will have to go with an app that cache the maps to your sd card. There are a few free ones on the market, not sure how good they are, search GPS and they should come up. If you are willing to pay then there are a few dedicated satnav options.

5. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

You'd need to buy an app like copilot

6. Nodders

Nodders Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I understand you. There are tonnes of apps that use GPS. There are loads that use the mobile network to get an approximate location without GPS. You're after something different - an app that uses non data/non GPS to get a fix?

7. tremblingwater

tremblingwater Well-Known Member

I am not sure exactly what you mean but if you're referring to just getting a fix via gps and not your data package, all you have to do is turn gps on and when it'll get a fix it'll be accurate.

Sorry if this doesn't answer, perhaps you can clarify :)

Ash