1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Is there an app that can...?

Last Updated:

1. heyitsericc

heyitsericc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there an app that can turn off my wifi whenever I put my phone to sleep? To conserve battery, I always have to turn off my wifi before I turn it off, and turn it back on when I unlock it. After a few days of this, it gets pretty annoying. I'm used to the iPod touch where when you sleep it, the wifi automatically turns off to save battery,and when you unlock it, and turns it back on. It would really save me the time.

Also I noticed this Wifi sleep policy thing. I don't really understand, can someone elaborate or explain more. Is it that when your not using your wifi for +15 min, it automatically turns off? Do you turn it on manually, or does it do it auto when you starting using wifi programs like browser.

Thanks.

I don't know if this helps but I'm using a HTC Legend.

Advertisement
  2. ecooke21

ecooke21 Active Member

juice defender?

3. heyitsericc

The free version only works with 3G, which is worthless since I don't have a data plan. I tried downloading the paid app illegally, but it wouldn't run properly.

4. mcnutty

mcnutty Well-Known Member

tasker

5. Bob Denny

Bob Denny Well-Known Member

6. amlothi

amlothi Well-Known Member

7. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Just go into WiFi settings, press Menu and go to Advanced and there you will find the settings.

8. heyitsericc

Thanks for all the response guys. What's the difference from downloading from the dev compared to the market?

Also, since I don't have a data plan, would it still work? I want to set it to 15 min, so it doesn't waste battery on wifi when I have phone off, but I don't have a data plan, so I turned my mobile network off.

If that works, I won't need tasker than. I tried it and it seems really confusing. Don't know how to set it so when screen off = wifi off.

9. amlothi

amlothi Well-Known Member

I have never tried using this to turn off Wifi only. I'm guessing Android will try to turn on mobile data automatically, even if you have it disabled. However, you could use something line APNDroid to not allow Mobile Data connections possibly...

You will just have to try and see if it does what you want. The Wifi Sleep function, as I understand it, is meant to conserve battery power - not to avoid using a data plan. Though it's possible you can use it this way.

To answer your first question, if you buy directly from the dev, he makes a bit more profit I believe. Also, it allows people to purchase Tasker in locations where paid apps are not available through the market.

Task can do many many many things. It's the only app I have paid for, and it is worth 3x the price. Highly recommended.

10. sloheim

sloheim Well-Known Member

If I buy directly from the developer, will I automatically be notified of new versions? Or will I have to track them down and manually download them myself?

11. sloheim

sloheim Well-Known Member

Found the answer on the developer's website... you DO get a notification of a new version, but you'll download it directly rather than getting via the marketplace.