Is there an app that could power off my phone at a certain time?

1. Snubber

Snubber Member

I have trouble falling asleep without listening to music. So, I listen to music on my phone but this means that it stays on all night because no one is there to turn it off.

Is there any app that would automatically turn your phone off at a specified time? Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

I think youll have more luck finding an app to kill the music player at a set time tbh
  3. vosg

vosg Well-Known Member

Are you sure your music player does not have such a sleep function built in?
  4. Snubber

Snubber Member

I want an app that turns off my phone, not the music player, because I don't want to waste battery. And a sleep function would not matter because it stops playing music when it gets to the end of an album anyways.
  5. funkylogik

Id just keep it plugged in at night. It does no harm and you start the day with full battery. I havent even seen a root app that will shut the phone down tbh :thumbup:
    PS the phone shouldnt be using much battery once the album ends as long as nothing is keeping the processor awake
  6. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

No app will be able to turn off your phone unless your device is rooted. If rooted, Tasker could turn off your device for you based on any number of conditions - one of them being time. Similar apps (Llama, AutomateIt, Locale) may be able to do the same.

If your device isn't rooted and you don't want it to be, you could turn on airplane mode to save battery.
    funkylogik likes this.
  7. kwalla

kwalla Well-Known Member

Llama can turn off a phone -- and it's free.
    funkylogik likes this.
  8. Snubber

Snubber Member

Thanks for the help guys. This is off topic but does anyone know if keeping the phone charged all night, every night, does any damage to the battery?
  9. funkylogik

Im not the biggest battery expert but on a modern phone battery, if it DOES cause any damage, itl only be to the actual battery and the damage will be negligible (in other words, dont even worry about it)
    The charge gets cut off when the battery is at full capacity :thumbup:
    skippy126 likes this.
  10. dappwl

dappwl Active Member

No, it doesn't. These Li-ion batteries are not like the old NiMh or NiCd batteries. I think many of use charging the battery at night while we usually have our phone on us during daytime.
  11. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

You are correct. ;)
    funkylogik likes this.
  12. androidpod

androidpod Well-Known Member Contributor

When I'm done for the day, I simply connect mine to the charger and go to sleep. In the morning I have a freshly charged phone. I have been doing this for years with all my phones no problem. Just use it and enjoy it :)
  13. arden6

arden6 Member

No damage at all. The phone stops fast charging and drop charges when the battery is 100%.
  14. NeoGrandizer

NeoGrandizer Well-Known Member

The only damage one does to Li-ion batteries is if you completely discharge them. But in terms of charging, no real damage. But Li-ion still have limited cycles of charging before they cannot maintain a 100% charge. But not noticeable until years down the road. My Dell Axim x51v started to show signs of battery degradation when it could no longer hold a good charge after years of use and daily overnight charging.
    funkylogik likes this.
  15. androidpod

androidpod Well-Known Member Contributor

A few more thoughts to share.

All batteries have a finite number of cycles before they die. One cycle being defined as charging until 100% then running the battery down to 10 to 15%. That's why some battery indicators show yellow then red as you enter that range. As stated in a prior post, it's important not to run the battery down till its at zero.

The only real caution to heed in order to enjoy the best life is to keep the battery from being exposed to ambient temps exceeding 95 degrees F. Nothing kills a Li-Ion or Li-Poly battery as quickly as heat. Even 30 minutes in excess heat will permanently shorten the battery lifespan, if not kill it altogether. You'd be surprised how fast this can happen if left in the car, even if the temps are only 80-85 degrees outside.
  16. dvhttn

dvhttn Well-Known Member

In my dreams .................... :banghead:

Dave
  17. funkylogik

Before anyone gets worried about their battery going down to 0%, dont, its a rare thing to happen. The phone will leave enough charge to shut itself down safely without fully draining the battery. Water damage could probably do it(?) :thumbup:
  18. Valentinejr237

Valentinejr237 Active Member

I have actually seen a manufacturer tutorial (can't remember who) that says to train phone battery by draining battery till phone won't come on then charge %100 with power off. It said to do it 3 times and the battery would last longer and hold a charge longer. I did not try it. I don't have the patience.
  19. funkylogik

^ i think that teaches the phone how to read battery levels (calibration) and isnt actually training the battery as far as i know :thumbup:
  20. Tim K

Tim K Well-Known Member Contributor

Bottom line. Don't worry about your battery. The phone will take care of it. All of the charging and proper levels of charge are worked out for you and handled by the phone. Charge it when you want, leave it plugged in, whatever.
    funkylogik likes this.