1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Is there an app that will turn on GPS using an SMS?

Last Updated:

1. LuisAlvarez

LuisAlvarez New Member This Topic's Starter

I have install many applications that lets me find my phone in case it gets stolen, but every one of them requieres that the GPS on my phone is turned on in order to work. Is there any app that will let me turn on the GPS by sending a text message?

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Mobile Defense, and Lookout both will do that.

3. coolbone

coolbone Well-Known Member

Tasker and Locale both have this functionality. They are a bit involved, and the learning curve is slightly steep, but they are immensely powerful.

4. LuisAlvarez

Lookout works with or without turning on the GPS function, is just that without it turned on, is not accurate enough, it misses by nearly 1 mile...

I'm very pleased with the Phone Locator App, it's just that the GPS turned on the whole time, makes my battery last less than 4 hours. That's why I'm just looking for an app that will let me turn on the gps function on the phone by sending a sms...

5. LuisAlvarez

Lookout works with or without turning on the GPS function, is just that without it turned on, is not accurate enough, it misses by nearly 1 mile...

I'm very pleased with the Phone Locator App, it's just that the GPS turned on the whole time, makes my battery last less than 4 hours. That's why I'm just looking for an app that will let me turn on the gps function on the phone by sending a sms...

6. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

+1 for Tasker. But I really fail to understand why apps that are GPS-dependent don't offer the ability to automatically turn it on.

7. LuisAlvarez

I know that Tasker will be able to do the job, but it's way to complicated for what I realy need it for. I just need a simple app that triggers on the GPS antenna with a text message... if it exists.

8. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Did you check out the two apps I posted? Both of those do it...