Is there an app to rotate screen by button?Support

Last Updated:

1. Jim Dawson

Jim Dawson Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I used to have a Windows phone and I found an app that allowed me to manually rotate the screen with the camera button. Is there anything like that available for the Android phones?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

screen auto rotates for most apps, so I'm not sure why you would want the added step of having to push a button

3. Jim Dawson

Because I don't like the auto rotate feature. It seems overly sensitive on my phone. I have app to disable auto rotation (others must agree with me or there wouldn't be such an app) but I have to go back to the home screen to reenable auto rotation. I would prefer to just push a button to rotate the screen when I'm doing something that requires rotation.

Just a minor inconvenience for me, not a big deal.

4. jreed2560

cool. have you calibrated the compass? It helps with the sensitivity

5. Jim Dawson

Thanks, I'll give it a try - and still look for an app. :)

6. Stradevarius

Stradevarius Active Member

I would like to know if there is an app that does this too. Even after recalibrating the compass, it feels a bit overly sensitive. Pressing a button to rotate would make thing so much simpler.

7. buckguin

buckguin Well-Known Member

Switch Pro Widgets have a button you can place on your homescreen that turns the Auto-Rotate on or off. You should give that a try.

8. SgtBaxter

SgtBaxter Well-Known Member

Me too, this actually was built into my old Omnia, and I used it instead of auto-rotate.

I wish I had this option on my Droid too. Press camera button to rotate instead of turn on camera.

9. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

Add me to the list.

I turn off auto-rotation and that's fine 95% of the time. I have a widget to turn it back on. It just be nicer if I could long press search or something like that for the rare time that I'd like the screen to rotate.

It usually comes up when I'm looking at a picture full screen.

10. jreed2560

the only thing I don't want to auto rotate is my homescreen. thankfully with launcher pro I can set only it to not auto rotate, while leaving everthing else alone

Shenyu, cheesehead007 and Jim Dawson like this.
  11. Jim Dawson

I didn't realize LP had that option. I'll look for it as that is when I want to disable auto rotate.

Thanks

P.S. That worked great - thanks!

12. bigshotproducer

bigshotproducer Well-Known Member

Holy cow! I had no clue! THANKS A MILLION! You've just saved this phone from being thrown into the wall!

13. Mays24

Mays24 Well-Known Member

Looking or that feature in LP. How do I set that? Thanks.

14. mahers

mahers Well-Known Member

Hard menu button from the home screen
    Preferences
    Behavior Settings
    Uncheck first option "Enable Auto-Rotation"

For others, Beautiful Widgets just put out an update a day or two ago and now provides an Auto-Rotate widget. I have not tried it, so I don't know how it works, but I saw it in the notes.

15. jreed2560

Glad that worked for you guys. It was a major PITA when the homescreens rotate. but I want things like the gallery, gmail, and the web to rotate when I want without having to do anything.

16. jonny323

jonny323 New Member

I found this page while searching for the exact same thing as you, Jim. After a little bit of searching and trial and error, I found two solutions that I will share with you.

FYI, Jreed, the reason this feature is nice is because I don't want my Droid X to auto-rotate 99% of the time - it's just annoying when it does. The only time I really ever want it rotated is when I'm looking at pictures in my gallery or for the occasional web page that doesn't display well in portrait mode.

So, option 1 is easy, however not exactly what you asked for - Go to the market and download "Auto-Rotate Status Bar Switch" by friedflow. It puts an option in your pull down notification bar that you can pull down, click and it will toggle your rotation setting without ever leaving your app!

Option 2 requires two apps to complete, but will do exactly what you want. First download "SmartBar" by APS Technology and "AutoRotate Switch" by Kenneth Cheng. Install both apps then open SmartBar and go into "Smart Bar Settings" at the very bottom. Scroll down until you see "Long Click Camera Button" - click the checkbox and select AutoRotate Switch from the drop down menu, save and bingo - you've got it! It works so quick on my DX too, no lag at all.

Hope this helps!

appstew, samic130 and weezers like this.
  17. weezers

weezers New Member

Thanks jonny323 I have been trying forever to know how to rotate my scrren. down loading Auto-Rotate from the Market works perfectly.

18. samic130

samic130 New Member

thanks

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  19. appstew

appstew Member

Thank you so much!!!! I will try this out. My overly sensitive auto rotate function on my Desire HD is doing my head in.

20. dovikel

dovikel New Member

No search buttun on Galaxy S3....!