• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there an easy way to check if the phone is locked?

Crafty

Android Enthusiast
May 30, 2010
I'm with VF, luckily I didn't get the dreaded OTA last week.
My phone is totally unbranded, so I'm wondering if it will let me install 2.2 manually without the need for a goldcard and all the messing about.

is there an easy way to check ? I don't want to attempt an install for it to screw up and brick the phone.

Thanks

I'm with VF, luckily I didn't get the dreaded OTA last week.
My phone is totally unbranded, so I'm wondering if it will let me install 2.2 manually without the need for a goldcard and all the messing about.

is there an easy way to check ? I don't want to attempt an install for it to screw up and brick the phone.

Thanks

My Desire was locked to T-mobile, I got the unlock code and now it will work with any other network sim.

So... just try any other sim card, Orange, T-mob... ... etc and it will log on with no complaints if its unlocked.

Upvote 0
My Desire was locked to T-mobile, I got the unlock code and now it will work with any other network sim.

So... just try any other sim card, Orange, T-mob... ... etc and it will log on with no complaints if its unlocked.

Unlocked only means you can use any simcard in the phone. A phone can be unbranded and unlocked but can still have a network ROM installed, therefore the OTA 2.2 update won't work properly - it only works with phones from HTC that has never had a network ROM installed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones