Is there an easy way to check if the phone is locked?

Last Updated:

1. Crafty

Crafty Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm with VF, luckily I didn't get the dreaded OTA last week.
    My phone is totally unbranded, so I'm wondering if it will let me install 2.2 manually without the need for a goldcard and all the messing about.

is there an easy way to check ? I don't want to attempt an install for it to screw up and brick the phone.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. sandozer

sandozer Well-Known Member

My Desire was locked to T-mobile, I got the unlock code and now it will work with any other network sim.

So... just try any other sim card, Orange, T-mob... ... etc and it will log on with no complaints if its unlocked.

3. Raggy

Raggy Well-Known Member

Thats what I thought but mine works with a 3 sim in it but I got the OTA cr@p last week grrrr :mad:

4. sandozer

sandozer Well-Known Member

That means there must be embedded firmware in the rom, so unlocking only untethers the dedicated network, but leaves the base "rom boot" in the phone. :cool:

5. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

Unlocked only means you can use any simcard in the phone. A phone can be unbranded and unlocked but can still have a network ROM installed, therefore the OTA 2.2 update won't work properly - it only works with phones from HTC that has never had a network ROM installed.

6. Raggy

Raggy Well-Known Member

Mine wasn't unlocked at any point as I got it from VF and always use it on VF, just tried the 3 sim to see if I could get the 2.2 FROYO update lol