• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is there any magical way to remove screen scratches?

DWilliams

Nov 30, 2009
My Droid has a very small scratch on the screen. It's not bad enough to have a texture (I can't feel it if I rub my finger over it), but it does reflect the light in just a way that makes it fairly visible when a light background is displayed. I'm always very careful with my phone, and I have no idea how it got scratched.

I've heard of numerous home remedy type fixes for screens, but some of them sound completely outlandish and some sound like they might damage the screen even worse. Is there any "real" way to fix it or am I stuck with the scratch?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for screen protectors? I've heard that lots of them mess with the touch screen or distort the picture. Are there any truly "good" screen protectors?

Yeah i just put a scratch on my droid and even though its small i wanna know if there is any way to fix it. preferably with maybe a household item.

The scratch does seem kinda deep though. I can feel a crevase with my nail if i try hard enough.

Let's try to do a search before making a new thread next time, okay?

That being said, looks like the answer you're looking for is in the post above mine.

Upvote 0
it will disrupt the electric current that makes it work.

Uh, that didn't make any sense to me. There's no current involved. Glass is a very good insulator, which means it doesn't conduct current. It all static electricity. Repairing a small scratch should not affect the touch screen function, certainly no more than a screen protector or dry skin.

However, the method described clearly says it's for plastic surfaces. Most cell phones use plastic screens. Droid uses glass. I don't know if this will work on the Droid.

Anybody tried it yet?

Upvote 0
My Droid has a very small scratch on the screen. It's not bad enough to have a texture (I can't feel it if I rub my finger over it), but it does reflect the light in just a way that makes it fairly visible when a light background is displayed. I'm always very careful with my phone, and I have no idea how it got scratched.

I've heard of numerous home remedy type fixes for screens, but some of them sound completely outlandish and some sound like they might damage the screen even worse. Is there any "real" way to fix it or am I stuck with the scratch?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for screen protectors? I've heard that lots of them mess with the touch screen or distort the picture. Are there any truly "good" screen protectors?
Try using glasses (eye glasses) cleaners. And then maybe purchase an invisisheild from zagg.com for 30 bucks, oh and a lifetime warrenty. Thats my two cents worth.

Upvote 0
I started to try it on some scrap plate glass and plastic we have at the shop. I cracked open the eggs that are required in the "formula", but then broke down and added some cheese and bacon, orange juice, and just ended up taking a nap.

Just kidding:p... but my wife and I bought the components last night out of curiosity as we work with art framers, so this may be a neat trick if it works. I'll share our results once we test it.

Upvote 0
I started to try it on some scrap plate glass and plastic we have at the shop. I cracked open the eggs that are required in the "formula", but then broke down and added some cheese and bacon, orange juice, and just ended up taking a nap.

Just kidding:p... but my wife and I bought the components last night out of curiosity as we work with art framers, so this may be a neat trick if it works. I'll share our results once we test it.

omfg LOL!!

Upvote 0
There are lots of house-hold remedies that will actually give great results in some applications.
This is NOT one of them. I'm sorry. I feel bad for anyone who scratches their screen. I completely understand the desparation of someone who has to suffer with such a blemish on their new $600 piece of tech equipment; I'm very OCD about that myself. But some very simple research into the basics of how these screens work, how glass is made (and how hard it is), along with some simple common sense should tell you that this is a really, really stupid idea. All that can come of this is a fogged screen where you rubbed, some aluminum oxide wannabe paste trapped in the bezel of the screen, and water trapped between the touch screen pane and the LCD pane.
Frankly, if the fact that none of the 13 persons who commented have actually tried this doesn't give you pause in itself, well may the process of Intellectual Natural Selection educate you or forever lable you an idiot.
I'm a jeweler, albeit an unsuccessful one, but I do know what it takes to lap semiprecious stones of a various hardnesseses (-softer than glass) to a dead flat surface, and then polish them. Even with far better tools than I have, operated by someone with far more experience than I have, it ain't never gonna happen.

Reactions: NiceGuysFinishLast
Upvote 0
After reading the psychotic cat's post, I have come to the conclusion that I posted the link to the infamous glass-fixing site in error.

I did not do it maliciously, I thought it was a proud service I was rendering to my Droid brothers.

But alas, it appears that it is not applicable to the impeccable screen of our little fembots.

And no, I did not try the procedure myself, because from Day 1 of owning my little fembot, I have encased her in a hard body shell and a screen protector, so she is without any blemishes, just as she was when she rolled off the assembly lines and into my waiting arms.

(I would delete the link I posted, but others have used it in their quotes, so that would be pointless.)

Upvote 0
There are lots of house-hold remedies that will actually give great results in some applications.
This is NOT one of them. I'm sorry. I feel bad for anyone who scratches their screen. I completely understand the desparation of someone who has to suffer with such a blemish on their new $600 piece of tech equipment; I'm very OCD about that myself. But some very simple research into the basics of how these screens work, how glass is made (and how hard it is), along with some simple common sense should tell you that this is a really, really stupid idea. All that can come of this is a fogged screen where you rubbed, some aluminum oxide wannabe paste trapped in the bezel of the screen, and water trapped between the touch screen pane and the LCD pane.
Frankly, if the fact that none of the 13 persons who commented have actually tried this doesn't give you pause in itself, well may the process of Intellectual Natural Selection educate you or forever lable you an idiot.
I'm a jeweler, albeit an unsuccessful one, but I do know what it takes to lap semiprecious stones of a various hardnesseses (-softer than glass) to a dead flat surface, and then polish them. Even with far better tools than I have, operated by someone with far more experience than I have, it ain't never gonna happen.

Finally someone with some sense has commented. I've used Brasso to get rid of small scratches on watch faces, and even my old iPod plastic face. I'm pretty sure this would screw up the capacitive properties of the touch screen. I'm also pretty sure these screens do conduct electricity, I just haven't put a meter to it yet.

After reading the psychotic cat's post, I have come to the conclusion that I posted the link to the infamous glass-fixing site in error.

I did not do it maliciously, I thought it was a proud service I was rendering to my Droid brothers.

But alas, it appears that it is not applicable to the impeccable screen of our little fembots.

And no, I did not try the procedure myself, because from Day 1 of owning my little fembot, I have encased her in a hard body shell and a screen protector, so she is without any blemishes, just as she was when she rolled off the assembly lines and into my waiting arms.

(I would delete the link I posted, but others have used it in their quotes, so that would be pointless.)

Dude, that's freaking post of the day material right there!

Upvote 0
heh- OCD as I am about the cometics of my "fembot" (-I like that), I got insurance, also. Got it more because I was afraid it might suffer disfigurement more than actually not work.

When I posted:
, I was referring to the commenters on the site supplied, net this thread.

I don't really think anyone's and "idiot" for wanting something to work in their hour of desparation, but common sense needs to ground us lest the damage be worstened, making us feel twice as bad in the end, that's all.

My dad had problems with his PDA touch screen being out of alignment and having a "hole" where there was no continuity. He sent it away to some small business out west that replaced the screen for less than a hundred bucks. If I get this info, I'll add it here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones