Is there any way to disable the trackball?General

Last Updated:

1. Gnomesarealive

Gnomesarealive Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

This is my third Eris replacement, all have had the silent speaker bug. This one has it as well, but now this one has the continuously scrolling left trackball even while not plugged in, making the phone unusable.
    I have an Incredible ordered, but until that arrives whenever it decides to, I'm stuck using an old LG Chocolate. Any ideas on this? I have had nothing but bad luck with my replacements. Almost wish I could have the original one back, which only had silent speaker intermittently.

Advertisement
  2. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

You would have to get it replaced, since there is no way to disable the trackball that I know of, short of physically removing it. And since your getting the Incredible, it might be pointless. But if you want it exchanged, you might as well try.

3. ilikemyeris

ilikemyeris Well-Known Member

That is the same thing that's happening to me! Started doing this about 2 days ago.. i'm over here trying to text & the typing thing would keep moving to the left, & my Eris would also be continuously keep going to the left.. Have you taken the phone into Verizon yet to get it checked? I'm thinking about doing it soon.. but would like some insight on what they're going to do like replace it with a refurbished phone or something..

4. andrizoid

andrizoid Well-Known Member

Trackball is how i got my refurb...then went on to root.
    the trackball issue is a well-known issue

you can always remove the trackball if you plan on keeping the phone-removing it voids the warranty.

5. ilikemyeris

So if i take it to Verizon will they give me a working phone that will take away the Trackball issue, what i'm afraid of is that if i change phones to a refurb one.. i might get the other bugs like silent call issue & what not, i'm still on 1.5 at the moment.. 2.1 was too buggy for me & downgraded.

6. andrizoid

andrizoid Well-Known Member

they will give you a refurb.
    possible issues hat can come up in a refurb
    -silent bug(hardware related)
    -more wacky trackballs
    -hboot 1.49 :'((

If your not planning on rooting, and the only issue is the trackball then just pop it out.

removing the trackball screws you if you want to root later though-need trackball to navigate the recovery menu. This will also void your warranty.

7. ilikemyeris

Hmmm.. i honestly don't really need my phone to be rooted.. it'd be nice having the overclocking capabilities to speed the phone up but i think where it's at right now.. if it's going to come with the 2.1 & still going to be buggy i might just downgrade back to 1.5 where it's all smooth & speedy..

Just got off the phone with Verizon.. sending a replacement phone.. should be here tomorrow, hopefully everything will be fixed!!

8. Gnomesarealive

Gnomesarealive Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I do not recommend getting a replacement from them if your phone is tolerable. Every replacement I have received has had more problems than the original one I had, which is why I ordered an incredible. Just have to wait a month to get it.

9. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

If you get the 1.49 HBOOT, you will be stuck with 2.1. Its impossible to downgrade as of now.