• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

is there any way to extend selection option like the iPhone?

No1up

Lurker
Apr 23, 2011
On my iPhone I can select a word and it gives me the option to look up the definition, this is an option I use a lot, I'm wondering my my nexus has this option or can get it somehow? Is there an app, or an option extender? Right now its cut, copy, paste.

I suspect that may have been another thing that was available prior to the iPhone but Apple somehow managed to get patented - like tapping a number in a message to make a call.

You could try some searching Play for dictionary apps, see if anything adds that sort of functionality - sometimes app makers are less constrained by patents than companies that are actually worth suing.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Yup. It's another Apple patent. Android can't use a universal dictionary because of it. It may be done inside some apps though. For example, in a browser, one of the possible options for selecting a word is "web search", thus getting a definition. For ebooks, the reader you are using should support it. Mantano Reader and ezPDF support ColorDict, so it can use that do define highlighted words.

Upvote 0
stock GB.

well a custom ROM i made, but its built off stock. No changes to mms, cept the color of the notification icon.

weird, when did it get changed? and that would drive me nuts.

Ah, GB. Apple won the patent case by the time ICS was released. All later phones were then updated to remove that feature. BrandedGB phones released after that point (like low end HTC and Samsung) got the feature removed. But stock GB was unaffected because, well, Google wasn't building GB anymore at the time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones