Is there any way to get EVO "WiFi tethering" for free?

Last Updated:

1. Vesbon

Vesbon Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm leaning towards getting an EVO and the "WiFi tethering" seems like an amazing feature, esp. since one can connect up to 8 computers to it. I'm actually looking to upgrade my home DSL internet connection and this might be a good way to do it. However, it stinks this feature costs $30 a month, per line.

Is there anyway to get this for free?

Would using an EVO for a family's home internet connection be practical?

I'm leaning towards getting that new "Clear" internet (CLEAR | High Speed Mobile 4G Wireless Internet Service with WiMAX), but then I realized it's basically just a 4G radio wrapped in a different case, which is basically what the EVO is.

Thanks,
    -v

Advertisement
  2. dsarch21

dsarch21 Well-Known Member

root your phone and use a custom rom that has tethering available.

google xda devolpers

3. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

You can Root your phone with the new Root however it is using a Flash Exploit so that may get closed pretty quickly and you wouldn't be able to update your phone when 2.2 comes out. And if you do update your phone then you would be without home internet unless you pay Sprint 30.00 for the hotspot feature.
    Having said all that I would not recommend using your Evo as your Home Internet Modem. Too many factors to consider. I do love using my Evo as a hotspot when I am out and about and out of town but for home use I stick with Cable Internet as that is the fastest available and I do alot of Movie Streaming and online Gaming. Your Mileage may vary and Anything is better than AT&T DSL. SO my best recommendation is to get the Evo and root it and try it out with the WiFI Tether for a few days before canceling AT&T. If it doesn't work well for you Try out Clear for 30 days.

4. mviars

mviars Member

I would say that the worst thing would be when you leave the house with your evo your internet goes with you so no one at home could use it.

5. ThatNewAndroidGuy

ThatNewAndroidGuy Well-Known Member

Yea its not practical, and if you do a lot of gaming or streaming, you will have latency issues as well.

6. 355spider

355spider Well-Known Member

I have it for free

7. Vesbon

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I may just go with Clear for ease of use (and it's only $40 a month). I plan to do alot of Netflix streaming, so I want a fast home connection (4G may not be fast enough).

-v

8. m4bandit

m4bandit Member

Mine has been free ever since the phone was released. I wonder when they're going to stop that...

9. Vesbon

One more question: Can I tether the EVO to one computer, for free? I assume I'd have to use cables.

Thanks,
    -v

10. sitlet

sitlet Banned

root or pdanet