• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there any way to receive/forward the texts from a non-smartphone to my LG Volt?

Hello all!

I've been looking into this for about a week now until I caved in to ask for help. I have a Kyocera Jax through Assurance Wireless, and the phone is SO HARD to type with beings the phone is so small and my fingers are so big, and I was wondering if there is a way to forward those texts that I receive on that number to my Volt, or is there a way to set up the phone number on the Jax phone onto my Volt? I've tried switching phones on Virgin Mobiles website, but it gives me an error of course since it's not a Virgin Mobile phone, but there's got to be a way to do this.

Any and all help will be much appreciated!

Only way is to give up the number on the Jax and try to get it on your VM Volt, That or give whoever the number to your Volt. I don't really get why this is an issue. Also what does this have anything to do with Root?

What do you mean by "give up the number"?
And my apologies, I didn't realize I was browsing in the root section.

Upvote 0
Porting would work even though my Volt doesn't have service active on it?
So you have active service on the Jax but not the Volt? No service on it at all, you are using it on wifi only? Or do you just mean you have 2 different services?
If it's wifi only with no number then GV won't work, it needs an active number to forward to.

Upvote 0
So you have active service on the Jax but not the Volt? No service on it at all, you are using it on wifi only? Or do you just mean you have 2 different services?
If it's wifi only with no number then GV won't work, it needs an active number to forward to.

Correct, only WiFi on my Volt, I had it on Sprint prepaid. But, I'm wanting to just use the active service on my Jax on my Volt, if at all possible. I'm gonna try calling Assurance/Virgin Mobile to see if they can do anything.

Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0
Yeah, give them a call and see if they can get the Volt on/in their system/towers etc. or at least offer you a better phone (than the Jax) for a decent price. Good luck.

It was weird because at first they checked the ESN on the phone and she said its still active on another plan, so she said to call Sprint and remove the current number from the Volt before they could switch the number over from the Jax to my Volt. So then I asked, "So my Volt can be used to transfer the number from my Jax to my Volt?" and then she completely changed her story and said "Actually, Coty, the Volt is not compatible with the Assurance plan."

What the heck.
I hate Virgin/Assurance customer service.

Upvote 0
Assurance is literally the most basic phone service. I mean, that isn't even a smartphone is it? The only one I saw on the site was an old school bar style phone. You aren't going to be able to activate any other phone on that service, and even if you could, you wouldn't get any data service.

Upvote 0
Hello all!

I've been looking into this for about a week now until I caved in to ask for help. I have a Kyocera Jax through Assurance Wireless, and the phone is SO HARD to type with beings the phone is so small and my fingers are so big, and I was wondering if there is a way to forward those texts that I receive on that number to my Volt, or is there a way to set up the phone number on the Jax phone onto my Volt? I've tried switching phones on Virgin Mobiles website, but it gives me an error of course since it's not a Virgin Mobile phone, but there's got to be a way to do this.

Any and all help will be much appreciated!
what I would do if I was you is port your number to Google Voice and then use hangouts Plus hangouts dialer to be able to get your phone calls and text messages via WiFi. That is what I do so I don't use any minutes or anything I don't even use virgin mobile I just have this on wifi all the time because I have Comcast and there is free high speed WiFi everywhere I go. This works perfectly and should work for you

Reactions: thejoker954
Upvote 0
get a google voice number and tell people to text/call you at that. and set google voice to forward to your jax. don't believe you would need the app on your jax for that.

using a google voice number is better anyways as no matter what you will always have it. and the call blocking features are better then any service provider i've had.

Upvote 0
Assurance is literally the most basic phone service. I mean, that isn't even a smartphone is it? The only one I saw on the site was an old school bar style phone. You aren't going to be able to activate any other phone on that service, and even if you could, you wouldn't get any data service.

We've had posts about Assurance Wireless before, I know it's really a lifeline carrier for people on welfare and limited means, but sure they do offer some basic Android smart-phones. Old school candy bar dumb-phones really are an endangered species now, and new ones can be quite rare. It really is, why have a dumb-phone when you can have an Android smart-phone for about the same price.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
We've had posts about Assurance Wireless before, I know it's really a lifeline carrier for people on welfare and limited means, but sure they do offer some basic Android smart-phones. Old school candy bar dumb-phones really are an endangered species now, and new ones can be quite rare. It really is, why have a dumb-phone when you can have an Android smart-phone for about the same price.

I'm not on welfare or government aid, but somehow I got approved for it. I can't complain, its a backup phone in case my smart phone has issues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones