Is there any way to root from a Mac that isn't running windows?General

Last Updated:

1. Joyfulmama

Joyfulmama New Member

I apologize in advance if this question has been asked. I want to root my prevail, but I don't see anyway around running odin on windows. I don't have access to a PC and I don't have windows installed on my mac. Any help/advice? I hate to go buy a new phone simply because I'm out of space on my current one since rooting would take care of that.

Advertisement
  2. Kcsuper

Kcsuper Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favor...burn the mac and buy a pc :p
  3. inigomontoyasr

inigomontoyasr Well-Known Member

ouch.

to the original question...unfortunately there isn't a way to root an updated device without windows and Odin.
    Joyfulmama likes this.
  4. Joyfulmama

Joyfulmama New Member

Sigh, since I'm trying to avoid having to blow $270 for the Marquee, it goes without saying that I'm also not quite in the market for a new computer :p
  5. Joyfulmama

Joyfulmama New Member

Thanks! That's what I figured.
  6. Dest1ny

Dest1ny Well-Known Member

actually depending on the mac that you have you can probably load windows into it and dual-boot to windows. You can use BootCamp to do it with, but i believe you need MAC OS X 8.0 or higher. I forget the version but if your mac is fairly new you should be able to.

all you would need is a copy of Windows.

also I don't know if even then it might work, but I don't see why it wouldn't.
  7. wetbiker7

wetbiker7 Well-Known Member Contributor

I agree, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to dual-boot it. Never done it but it makes sense to me.
  8. Xruptor

Xruptor Well-Known Member

Honestly, why just don't use bootcamp and have windows installed as well? Most if not ALL the mac users I know have windows installed on their mac as well. I know it's pretty sad that people still have to have two operating systems installed on a Mac to get things done. I wish everyone would just switch to Linux :p

In anycase, to answer your question Bootcamp or dual-booting to windows would be the only way. :( Not sure why you wouldn't have windows installed anyways it's very convenient.
  9. oopsibrokeit

oopsibrokeit Well-Known Member

Showing my age but, RED HAT WHY DID I FORSAKE THEE!?!?
  10. BadWolf47

BadWolf47 Active Member

I was running Linux and got a Mac specifically so I wouldn't need Windows anymore. All the "commercial apps" that I needed Windows for when I ran Linux have Mac versions.