Is there anyway to determine what ROM is in a Nandroid Backup?

Last Updated:

1. cuban11182

cuban11182 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there any way, besides installing the backup to determine what ROM is in it? I have a bunch of backups and would like to know if they are important anymore or not.

Advertisement
  2. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member

Not really, the best thing is to keep a record of your backups when you make them.

3. cuban11182

Yea I figured that out the hard way. I was restoring my last 3 and decided to rename them with the Rom added to the date that already is placed on the folder. M5 error, so had to pull the card to rename them back. Guess I'll just have to keep a tally.

4. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Yep, that's exactly what I do. Then every so often I offload all but the original and latest backup to a folder on the PC. Also keep a .txt file in there for notes on each.

5. mozetti

mozetti Well-Known Member

I use the app Gdocs Notepad to keep a record. It syncs with your Gdocs account by creating a specific folder that it syncs with. So, the nandroid list is available on my phone and backed up online. It just occurred to me that I could upload the backups to Gdocs, too.

6. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

I just created a notepad text doc and store it right in the clockworkmod backups folder. Works great!

7. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

The best way is to rename it as soon as you make it (if possible) I tend to forget sometimes too, but you gotta other wise it's so hard.

8. welbinator

welbinator Well-Known Member

just use ROM Manager and name it before you even start the backup.

or use root explorer and rename it immediately after you backup.

all mine are CM09302010 or ID10012010 for CyanogenMod 30th of September 2010 or IncredibleDoes 1st of October 2010.

9. cuban11182

I named the ones that I had in my Clockwork Backup folder and they failed when I tried to restore saying the M5 Sum didn't match. When I renamed them back to the original names they worked. I'll just have to continue to keep track of what they are. I'm thinking about deleting all the old 2.1 ones since I don't think I will ever use them again (minus the original nandroid when I first rooted).

10. NilsE

NilsE Well-Known Member

I just append something to the end of the generated name and rename it back if I need it.

11. cuban11182

Yea thats what I did. I'm just not to familiar with if I am able to rename it via Recovery. I was able to put it into the computer, but if I am not around one then I'm screwed.