Is there free activation through Verizon online?General

Last Updated:

1. dm33

dm33 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm trying to show up for new service with Verizon and get the Incredible.

But I cannot figure out if activation is free. I've had 3 online chats and have received different answers each time. In my last chat, they told me every possible answer, yes, no, depends, doesn't depend, what the website says, not what the website says.

I tried to order earlier today, and I thought on the checkout screen it said free activation.

Not sure whats changed. Now when I try it lists a $35 activation fee. But on the left of the screen is a box that says free activation, Friday-Monday, will be credited on 1st or 2nd bill.

Things I changed was logging in through my university website (discount), and trying a 1yr commitment.

I've been told several times that the free activation is only on a 2yr commitment. But I don't see it say that anywhere online.

This whole process is not inspiring confidence in Verizon. I cannot get an answer to a simple question about the supposed free activation. They make the rules overly complex and keep changing them. They reps are clueless. Reminds me too much of Sprint.

Edit:
    I went back and removed cookies so I went through the website not through my university. Now I see a box at the bottom that says free activation. Details say online available on new 2-yr activations.
    But that box doesn't show up when I login through my university URL. Could it be a special deal? Or just verizon website messed up?

Advertisement
  2. finnaginagain

finnaginagain Well-Known Member

no it should be 35 on your next bill i have to pay this also :/ sucks

3. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

I pre-ordered mine this morning and there was no activation fee to be found on my receipt.

4. finnaginagain

i think they were waving the fee the 16-19 which is dumb considering the phone isnt due out for another week and a half

ryanx27 likes this.
  5. dm33

? Its still the 19th. But now it shows an activation fee. This morning it didn't.

Does Verizon changes its terms this fast? Scary. How can you be sure what you're signing up for.

6. hooy

hooy Member

My bill for preordering this morning did not include activation (I saw a banner saying free activation Friday-Monday).

7. chris61292

chris61292 Well-Known Member

my preorder at 9pm tonight had free activation (idk if thats because we have a company discount or not)

8. finnaginagain

no way to tell dm but i hear that if you pre-order before midnight that they just pay you the 35 bucks on a later bill but dont quote me on that

9. goodapollo

goodapollo Member

if you are new to verizon you pay an activation fee. if you already have a plan then there is no activation fee. at least that is what customer service and a in-store csr explained to me

10. finnaginagain

im not a new customer and doing a 1 year upgrade and still have to pay for an activation fee

11. goodapollo

goodapollo Member

im am not a new customer and doing 1 year upgrade as well and do not have to pay activation fee so i am not sure . hope you get it worked out. normally talking too customer service can get it taken caare of. they have always been great for me.

12. dm33

My problem is that I don't know whether to order with a 1 or 2yr commitment. For the extra $30 price on the Incredible, I'd get the 1yr commitment. But if it really costs me 30+35, $65, its not worth it to me for a 1yr commitment.

13. goodapollo

goodapollo Member

i just get 2 yr commitment and upgrade annually. they can keep their $50 NE2. in the end it is worth to me to get a newer phone than worry about $50. Plus, with 1 yr you actually pay @ 70 bucks more is what some have stated

14. goodapollo

goodapollo Member

yeah most are saying in other threads here that they payed $269 for a 1 yr. i payed $199 with no activation fee. do you have a smartphone already or a dumb phone. when i upgraded to my treo 4 years ago i had to pay activation fee but not since and the incredible will be my 4th smartphone

15. dm33

Whoa. This makes my head spin. It just said $229.99 for a 1yr. Now it says $269.

The Verizon website changes by the minute. This is very nerve wracking.

This morning it said free activation during checkout. Like it wouldn't charge it at all.
    Now it says $35.
    A few minute ago said $229.99 for 1yr commitment, now it says $269.

A few days ago the terms implied you could return the phone on a new line with no restocking fee. Now the terms have changed to clearly state you always are charged a $35 restocking fee.

How do you ever know what you've signed up for. This is nuts.

Meanwhile I had someone at CS say they'd waive the activation fee for me after the fact. But who knows if they'd still be there and remember the conversation. Ya right.

I never had any of this runaround with AT&T and the iPhone. But no coverage :(
    I guess pick your poison.

16. varaonaid

varaonaid Well-Known Member

goodapollo;591547]if you are new to verizon you pay an activation fee. if you already have a plan then there is no activation fee. at least that is what customer service and a in-store csr explained to me[/QUOTE]

17. dm33

Absolutely amazing.

I just tried it again, with a 2yr commitment, it showed FREE activation during checkout, unlike the $35 its been doing all afternoon.

When I switched to 1yr commitment, it shows $229.99 again like it had all day, except for a few minutes ago when it said $269.99.

Verizon's website is very screwed up.

18. XxICEMAN720xX

XxICEMAN720xX Well-Known Member

I didn't have an option for activation fee or not, I clicked 2-yr and on the checkout cart my bill was simply $199.99 with $35 activation fee waved.

19. QrafTee

The $229.99 was a mistake. I believe it was supposed to be linked to NE2, but went live for the "standard" price.

20. Needz_Android

Needz_Android Well-Known Member

so it charges you for activation when you pre-order??

21. QrafTee

I wasn't charged one--there was no mention of one.

On my receipt it reads: "One-Time Charge on Monthly Bill: $0.00"

22. Needz_Android

i wasn't charged one either...

so does that mean when we call up to activate it, we won't be charge $35 since we ordered on 4/19??

23. Needz_Android

i wasn't charged one either...

so does that mean when we call up to activate it, we won't be charge $35 since we ordered on 4/19??

24. BlueSnake01

BlueSnake01 Well-Known Member

I just got off the phone with a manager. There is no activation fee on Fridays thru Mondays. So if anyone is going to pre-order today or tomorrow, is better to wait till Friday. Makes perfect sense on why it says no activation fee 4/16 thru 4/19 even though pre-orders started yesterday.

25. dm33

I still often see $229 for 1yr commitment. Other times $269.

But is there an activation fee Friday-Monday for a 1yr commitment?

I'm leaning towards the 1 yr commitment. I had a CS rep tell me he'd reverse the activation fee if it showed up. But it seems best to wait until Friday and have more of a leg to stand on defending why I shouldn't pay activation.

Do you have to pay activation if you switch phones on the same line? That would reek. On AT&T/Tmo its just swap a SIM card.