• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is There Good Unlock App To Replace Pressing Power Button?

My power button recently became too pressed in and harder to use. It still works but you have to press it just right and hold it down. I've always hated having to use it so much anyway b/c I think it's awkward.

So I've spent the last couple of days looking around for solutions. I tried No Lock, which worked fine...but I wanted the phone to wake to the locked position in order to keep it secure. I tried an app called Shaker (similar to the one discussed above) which worked ok, but not perfectly.

Then, I discovered WidgetLocker: WidgetLocker Lockscreen - Android app on AppBrain

No, it isn't free, but it's worth every penny. It allows you to use the volume button to wake up the phone which is much easier to do with one hand. And it wakes to the locked position. You can add a home screen shortcut that locks the phone with one click. And then you can add customized sliders and widgets to the lock screen. You can also customize it in various other ways. I haven't had time to figure it all out yet.

Oh, I also installed Screen Off which is an invisible widget that you can install on all of your home screens which turns the screen off with one short click...then the phone locks after a 5 second delay.

I wish I'd discovered these apps when I first bought the phone. I really need to do better research.

Hope this helps!!

Thank you!!!!!!
Exactly what I was looking for...

Upvote 0
Just an FYI, with all of those apps which replace the "lock screen" (other then the pattern unlock built into Android) -- they /will/ drain you battery. The CPU is never allowed to suspend fully (it's in a constant wake lock). So, just a heads up if you wonder why your battery is less than normal while running these all the time.

Then when I look at "Battery" I should see it on the list of services that drained the battery?
Never have.
Anylock.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones