• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is There Real Difference Between Ease of Use on Android and iPhone

I have a Samsung Galaxy S. I just clicked on Media Hub and it says "coming" soon. So it is not here yet. There is no mention of books.

Whether you care or not is irrelevant. You made this thread titled "ease-of-use" so you open yourself to replies. The fact is, as of now, it is very easy to consume content on iOS. It is very easy for the consumer and it works. It has been working for years whereas the "media hub" on my Galaxy S phone is hype and vaporware until it actually works.

A 2 year old knows how to play bubblebreaker?
Well ok I should of mentioned it will get Media Hub sorry for the confusion. However vcast should work if your on Verizon, Mobitv on T-mobile, Sprint Tv, and sorry don't know what at&t calls it but they have ther own sollution to. A kid may not know bubblebreaker but would certainly know tetris or doodlejump. An Android phone can do multimedia but you are right an iPhone is generally better but there are many free or cheap puzzle games.

Upvote 0
Well ok I should of mentioned it will get Media Hub sorry for the confusion. However vcast should work if your on Verizon, Mobitv on T-mobile, Sprint Tv, and sorry don't know what at&t calls it but they have ther own sollution to.

And how do you watch a full-length vcast ,sprint-tv movie on a plane that doesn't allow cellular radio to be turned on?

On the iOS, you download the file and can watch off-line.

Attachments

• Mobile Photo Jul 29, 2010 9 21 39 PM.jpg
    Mobile Photo Jul 29, 2010 9 21 39 PM.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 37
Upvote 0
And how do you watch a full-length vcast ,sprint-tv movie on a plane that doesn't allow cellular radio to be turned on?

On the iOS, you download the file and can watch off-line.
You already mentioned Media Hub is coming soon so yo don't need to mention it again. Besides I wouldn't using or downloading iTunes movies on the plane. I would be able to instantly stream movies while I'm waiting to get on the plane. Sure quality wouldn't be very good I could still do it. I could distract the kid with free movies like big buck bunny they would be intrigued by the funny looking animals. Also as mentioned many have different solutions for multimedia for example playnow does work on the Sony Ericsson Xperia x10.

Upvote 0
I know a lot of system administrators, programmers, consultants, mechanical engineers, people who you call techy use the iPhone by choice.

When you can get an Android phone that allows me to SSH and reconfigure my firewall and switches via a Cisco VPN tunnel, get back to me. When you get a phone that allows me to run X11 applications from a million dollar Solaris super computer, get back to me. You must be techy. Heck, I'll even pay you $100 to get my vpn working on my android phones when it is a simple point-n-click on the iPhone.

I'm ragging on you because I always hear this argument about "stupid" people use an iPhone. That is a such a blanket statement. If you want to make a statement like that, lets get into a pissing match: college degrees, job title, technical competencies, proficiency in various programming languages and OSes. We can get nitty gritty technical like building kernels and make our distros.. How about that?

I must be real stupid when I want to add titles to my HD video I just recorded and add transitions,trim and edit video to show the family. Oh, I just got a $2 app that gives my videos professional color grading that all my pro video editors just dropped their jaw and say.. "Thats After Effects on a FONE!!!! That $2 app has the same functionality as a $600 plugin." Oh, I forgot, I can't edit videos on my 3 Android handsets I have in my possession.

The iPhone is a platform. The eco-system is part of that platform. One of the ease-of-use is the ability to consume media content easily and conveniently. I'm sure there will be some who argue against DRM and a wall-garden but I gotta say there are some advantages of that ease-of-consumption.

I'm gonna give another example of ease of use for this thread:

Last year, I was going on vacation with the family. We got delayed in Texas on our way to South America. My 2 year old was fussy (being on a plane for 3 hours already). We were expecting another 12 hour delay in Nicargaua so we decided to spend one night there instead of another layover nightmare in a foreign airport. At the Texas airport, my wife downloaded Samantha Brown's travel guide on Nicaragua via the itune store and bought some PBS children's videos for my fussy toddler. Have in mind, this was all un-planned. My child was quiet and content for the rest of the flight. When we got to the hotel, he watched his video where it left off on our laptops (after a sync). We didn't have to guess whether or not he stopped playing the video at 18:32 and 14 frames. The sync left the exact marker of where my kid stop watching the video before landing. We got a good restaurant recommendation from watching the travel guide documentary. Total cost of satisfaction - $6.

Have in mind, this one done on A SECOND generation iPhone same vintage as the G1. I wonder if a G1 is ever possible of such a feat.

A techy person,like yourself, would sit at the airport and probably google pirate bay sites, try to find a torrent of the video I was looking for. Then download it with no guarantee you'll get it in 40 minutes. Then re-convert the .wmv file to a compatible format that would play on the Android phone...

Now that is ease-of-use and a head-ache free scenario.

You need to take a step back and relax. :) The words "stupid people" gets the point across in a way that everyone understands.. well... almost everyone. I could replace the word stupid with "not a lot of experience with computers and less technical background" but its a lot easier and gets the point across just fine to say "stupid people"... and also I have some "home team pride" as well with android; talking smack about iDrones is good fun here on an android forum.

As far as your example, you obviously like the walled garden. Good for you... it's great for parents on the go, especially when kids are involved as the kids can use an iPhone just great with out messing up your system.

Me personally, I would have just streamed a video from megavideo.. no playing with downloads. You see, Flash is one of the things with up to date android systems (no point in talking about old stuff, arguing os/2 vs dos doesn't do any good either) that is to "bloated" and "slow" that hurt the iPhone experience. The idea of having it with an on and off switch is much to complicated for the iPhone user.. as obviously the devs of the iPhone know whats best for their users. While that last statement is debatable (it is the official stance of apple, no hidden motives there) it is the route apple has chosen to go. No settings, no tinkering, no options.. if it isn't simple enough to "just work" ... it is scrapped. So, thats great if you insist on everything "just working", but it also means if it works... but requires setting up of any sort... its just not an option at all on the iPhone. No flash (too bloated), no true multitasking (would require users to understand turning off software or system will slow), no access to file structure (hell no, to complicated)...

Now, its true.. more apps for the iPhone.. so sure you have some editing software. Give android some time.. it didn't really catch on until around the time the droid came out. But don't get all defensive over the traits of your chosen system. If you come to an android forum, expect people to talk about simplicity with a techy's tone. You want people who care more about simplicity then function... goto the iPhone forum.

Upvote 0
Not to mention that, as far as toddler amusement goes, there're plenty of simple games on the market that'll suit just such a purpose. Not that I would personally let a child handle an expensive smartphone I own, but there you go. Froyo video player remembers where you left off in a video and resumes from that point.

Research is hard. Shooting your mouth off is easier.

Upvote 0
. Froyo video player remembers where you left off in a video and resumes from that point.

I was referring to the synching to the laptop (desktop). If you buy a movie on the iOS device, play it, and synch to a computer, the computer via itunes will play where you left off when it was last played on the phone. You can buy a whole tv season episode and the system keep tracks of where you left off. It carries off between phone, other iOS devices, and desktop as many times as you want. It goes back to that level of ease of use. The synching is very intuitive.

Another example of ease-of-use like above is music synching.

I bought 2 albums from Amazon last week. $5 albums and they were 50 song of foreign jazz compilations of artists I never heard before. I was able to rate songs while I played them; having in mind I would burn a cd mix of artists and songs I never heard before. The next time the phone was synch, I was able to burn a mix of those songs that appealed to me. I never had to keep track of the name of which song I liked or the name of which artists interested me.

On Android, I guess I can apply a rating in MixZing , Doubletwist or whatever Android music player would re-write the ID3 tag on the phone. Does it even re-write the ID3 tags? I would then re-copy it back on my desktop. It is still not the same or as easy-to-use. Or I can be real technical. I can copy the list of songs I played into a spreadsheet on my Droid Incredible or Galaxy S to keep track of them. Again, not easy or intuitive or safe to do while driving in a car.

Upvote 0
I was referring to the synching to the laptop (desktop). If you buy a movie on the iOS device, play it, and synch to a computer, the computer via itunes will play where you left off when it was last played on the phone. You can buy a whole tv season episode and the system keep tracks of where you left off. It carries off between phone, other iOS devices, and desktop as many times as you want. It goes back to that level of ease of use. The synching is very intuitive.

Another example of ease-of-use like above is music synching.

I bought 2 albums from Amazon last week. $5 albums and they were 50 song of foreign jazz compilations of artists I never heard before. I was able to rate songs while I played them; having in mind I would burn a cd mix of artists and songs I never heard before. The next time the phone was synch, I was able to burn a mix of those songs that appealed to me. I never had to keep track of the name of which song I liked or the name of which artists interested me.

On Android, I guess I can apply a rating in MixZing , Doubletwist or whatever Android music player would re-write the ID3 tag on the phone. Does it even re-write the ID3 tags? I would then re-copy it back on my desktop. It is still not the same or as easy-to-use. Or I can be real technical. I can copy the list of songs I played into a spreadsheet on my Droid Incredible or Galaxy S to keep track of them. Again, not easy or intuitive or safe to do while driving in a car.

Rating your own music is a bit.. dumb. Seriously, if you don't like the song, why download it? See, being able to make phone calls, and hold the phone anyway I like, along with widgets and true customization, still trumps anything iOs can offer.

Upvote 0
I know a lot of system administrators, programmers, consultants, mechanical engineers, people who you call techy use the iPhone by choice.

When you can get an Android phone that allows me to SSH and reconfigure my firewall and switches via a Cisco VPN tunnel, get back to me. When you get a phone that allows me to run X11 applications from a million dollar Solaris super computer, get back to me. You must be techy. Heck, I'll even pay you $100 to get my vpn working on my android phones when it is a simple point-n-click on the iPhone.

VPN is one of those last issues to be resolved after froyo took care of remote wipe, backups, etc. Fortunately, Cisco has adopted android for their Cius tablet so I'm sure it will be contributed to google.

Upvote 0
iPhone doesn't have a file system. Every app has to bring its own method of getting files onto the phone and files that have been downloaded by one app cannot be viewed by another. That's pretty important if you want to edit doc files on your phone. An app such as quickoffice, shouldn't own your doc files.
With android, it's simple consistent drag and drop. Android needs polish and more attention to detail for all sorts of small little things but it's a lot easier for them to do that than for Apple to to untangle the messy way iphone handles files.

Upvote 0
Rating your own music is a bit.. dumb. Seriously, if you don't like the song, why download it? See, being able to make phone calls, and hold the phone anyway I like, along with widgets and true customization, still trumps anything iOs can offer.

This thread is about "ease-of-use." Your reply about calls and customization are non-germane to this discussion.

BTW, in my example, I bought 2 entire albums with 50 songs each (a total of 100 songs). I was exploring music and expanding my musical taste @ $5 from amazon. It is much cheaper than buying songs individually at $1. You know, some people do that and rating helps sorts out the junk. Again, something that is "easy-to-use."

Upvote 0
Is There Real Difference Between Ease of Use on Android and iPhone
Depends on who you ask. For some, the simplicity (and limitations) of iOS is a plus. Power and flexibility are a double-edged sword and generally come at the cost of added complexity. Sure, an average person can use the basic stock features of Android but the draw of Android, at least for me, isn't in the basic features.

Looks don't equate to actual usage.
...and your personal preferences (or those of anyone in this thread, including my own) don't equate to everyone else's. I'm not sure why this seems to be such a difficult concept for forum users to grasp. Yes, from our own perspectives we are each the center of the universe. That, however, doesn't mean that the sun revolves around you. While you may not see the value in something, it doesn't mean that others don't.

Rating your own music is a bit.. dumb.
If you see the world only in black-and-white. Personally, I have varying levels of "like" for my music. Obviously, YMMV.

Upvote 0
iPhone doesn't have a file system. Every app has to bring its own method of getting files onto the phone and files that have been downloaded by one app cannot be viewed by another. That's pretty important if you want to edit doc files on your phone. An app such as quickoffice, shouldn't own your doc files.
With android, it's simple consistent drag and drop. Android needs polish and more attention to detail for all sorts of small little things but it's a lot easier for them to do that than for Apple to to untangle the messy way iphone handles files.
Exactly on Android I wouldn't have to access my document files in special way via the web I could just plug my Android phone into my computer and copy them to my computer an area where Android makes things "easier-to-use". Also another example where Android makes thing easier at least for my well I need to iTunes to set up an iPhone and music/videos/photos on it well darn I use Linux an iPhone isn't an option for wait and Android device syncs perfectly with my Linux desktop that an area where Android is easier to use for my needs. I would need to setup Windows and setup iTunes on Windows then agree to Apple and at&t terms of service then install some plugin in Linux to use it with Linux. When my Android just lets me sync with Linux. Again an area where Android is easier to use.

Upvote 0
Also Android makes notifications easier by hiding them in a drawer on the top of the screen and it would be easy access notifications later pulling down the drawer if I want to access them later. On iPhone if I receive a notification it takes up the entire screen and gets in the way of productivity and thus making things harder there is no unified way to access notifications so I have to drill into application find a previous notification. There is another area where Android makes things easier-to-use.

Upvote 0
i love reading these topics with interest, i was myself going to wait for the iphone 4 but a freind introduced me to android a couple of months earlier and thank god he did i love it.

so when i read these topics, somethings really get on my tits, "iphone is way more intuitive" what the piss does way more intuitive suppose to mean in a phone sense?
on my android i want to go on the internet so i hit the internet icon and bingo a webpage comes up and cruising the net i click on something it plays it, including flash content.... how can a iphone be intuitive if you click on a flash video and it wont play it, am i missing something.

and the complete joker that said theres A PLUS SIDE TO DRM MUSIC..... are you fricking kidding me, theres absolutely nothing good whatsogodamnever about DRM files. for example i sync my ipod with my new computer and new OS i uploaded on to it, and everytime itunes accidently plays one of my old DRM files the hole computer is pretty much unuseable cause it doenst recognise that me... MEEEE who bought that stupid DRM track is trying to play it, and yes before you ask I authorised the damn computer and ipod to play it but no, its having none of it, ARE YOU F***ING KIDDING ME. so i end up deleting everysingle tune i ever bought of itunes and illegally d/l it from a different source, well done steve jobs well done apple your adding to illegal piracy when im quite happy paying for the tunes to begin with.

If anyone says DRM files are a good idea im gonna put my head through the computer screen.

ok rant over, before i miss my anger managment class :D

Upvote 0
On the downside, some paid apps are locked to IMEI like Rock Player. You can't copy the apk to a different phone after you purchase it. You have to repurchase it for each and every Android device you have.

I can load any app I choose on my Android phone without voiding the warranty. Android wins.

Granted, Android has the open-ness and customization. It has those choices.

No reasonable person would deny that. However, no reasonable person should deny the fact

that iOS has many options in terms of usage. These options are APPS that simplify and enrich many people's lives.

I'm not talking about out-of-the box experience but the entire eco-system in general.

There are simply better apps, custom designed for a wide variety of people's taste, hobbies and interests that ARE not available on the Android market place.

I have apps from my bank that allow me to deposit a check on the iOS. No nedd to go to an ATM ever again.
I have apps that work with a remote home surveillance camera.

As someone into photography, I have apps that control my DSLR. I can use an iPhone as a light meter for my vintage Leicas. I just saved $200 right there.
I have apps I can use for nautical, and aviational navigation; saving me hundres of dollars from buyind dedicated devices.
I have a wealth of geo-caching apps not available on Android.
Now, there are high many new video apps coming from the same company that make hollywood effects apps for the desktop on iOS.

In time, they will come to Android (or maybe not) but the sheer quality of paid apps on iOS is astounding. I haven't even gotten into games. This something that Win7 will have a strong lead in.
The Android offerings are even comparable. Someone mentioned kid games. I looked today on the Android marketplace and there isn't any of the same ones on IOS. Where is Sid the Science Kid, Where is Dora Explorer, Where is ....

For example, if a $50 app on an iOS can compete with a $1800 dedicated device, you have to give credit to the iOS platform.
It doesn't matter what your OS preference is. You can't discount the apps.
I am just using those examples.

I know people that have other interests and there are a gazillion apps that appeal to them;not available on Android.

You can talk about open-ness, ability to have live wallpapers, open file system but that doesn't matter to a parent who wants a Flash-card, math game with Disney characters for his kid.

The individual apps I've purchased over time has given me infinitely more value than the device it is running on. The fact I can synch it to as many iOS devices as I want without re-download, repurchasing or being locked to an IMEI of a specific phone is "easy."

Upvote 0
Yeah, because having so many options is a bad thing now :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, I seemed to have missed where this thread topic had anything to do with that.

I like Android much better than iOS and I won't own an iphone, but the truth is, if your grandma is getting a smartphone (mine can't even turn on a computer), then iOS is the simpler OS. That being said, if you have even an ounce of tech knowledge you wouldn't have a problem with Android, but I know a lot of people who are tech ******ed.

Upvote 0
On the downside, some paid apps are locked to IMEI like Rock Player. You can't copy the apk to a different phone after you purchase it. You have to repurchase it for each and every Android device you have.

No reasonable person would deny that. However, no reasonable person should deny the fact

that iOS has many options in terms of usage. These options are APPS that simplify and enrich many people's lives.

I'm not talking about out-of-the box experience but the entire eco-system in general.

There are simply better apps, custom designed for a wide variety of people's taste, hobbies and interests that ARE not available on the Android market place.

I have apps from my bank that allow me to deposit a check on the iOS. No nedd to go to an ATM ever again.

As someone into photography, I have apps that control my DSLR. I can use an iPhone as a light meter for my vintage Leicas. I just saved $200 right there.
I have apps I can use for nautical, and aviational navigation; saving me hundres of dollars from buyind dedicated devices.
Now, there are high many new video apps coming from the same company that make hollywood effects apps for the desktop on iOS.

In time, they will come to Android (or maybe not) but the sheer quality of paid apps on iOS is astounding. I haven't even gotten into games. This something that Win7 will have a strong lead in.
The Android offerings are even comparable. Someone mentioned kid games. I looked today on the Android marketplace and there isn't any of the same ones on IOS. Where is Sid the Science Kid, Where is Dora Explorer, Where is ....

For example, if a $50 app on an iOS can compete with a $1800 dedicated device, you have to give credit to the iOS platform.

I know people that have other interests and there are a gazillion apps that appeal to them;not available on Android.

You can talk about open-ness, ability to have live wallpapers, open file system but that doesn't matter to a parent who wants a Flash-card, math game with Disney characters for his kid.

The individual apps I've purchased over time has given me infinitely more value than the device it is running on. The fact I can synch it to as many iOS devices as I want without re-download, repurchasing or being locked to an IMEI of a specific phone is "easy."

How can you possibly give credit to an OS when an app completely unrelated to how the os works(and can be done on other os's just as well, if not better)? Its like giving windows credit for being able to play a windows only game or program. Unless there is something about the competeing os that physically makes it impossible its a bit foolish to give an os credit for something it didn't do.

Upvote 0
How can you possibly give credit to an OS when an app completely unrelated to how the os works(and can be done on other os's just as well, if not better)? Its like giving windows credit for being able to play a windows only game or program. Unless there is something about the competeing os that physically makes it impossible its a bit foolish to give an os credit for something it didn't do.

People don't buy phones based on OS. The iPhone is not about an OS but an 'eco-system.' Bottom line, that is what matters. People don't buy a phone because it can have a diffent skin or widget.

They are buying phones for reasons like using Facebook on their phone at work to kill time. Or some people buy phones based on the ability to wifi hot-spot.

Part of the lure of the 'eco-system' is the ease-of-use,ease-of-consumption, and the 'ease-of-available apps'

That goes along the Window argument you make. Windows dominant popularity is based on the app availability. This is why iOS will continue to be popular.

Upvote 0

Better apps doesn't equate to actual usage. You just stated iOs has better quality apps cool that doesn't equate to usage you don't have any arguments to back that point up. Usually having more options doesn't confuse the user. I wouldn't ever get my grandma a smartphone or computer for that matter because she wouldn't understand why she has it or why she needs it and she probably break it. I think that this post properly points out every platform has its intuitive points and its clunky points.

Upvote 0
People don't buy phones based on OS. The iPhone is not about an OS but an 'eco-system.' Bottom line, that is what matters. People don't buy a phone because it can have a diffent skin or widget.

They are buying phones for reasons like using Facebook on their phone at work to kill time. Or some people buy phones based on the ability to wifi hot-spot.

Part of the lure of the 'eco-system' is the ease-of-use,ease-of-consumption, and the 'ease-of-available apps'

That goes along the Window argument you make. Windows dominant popularity is based on the app availability. This is why iOS will continue to be popular.
People use popular products like the iPhone, iPod, Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office, Lg Envy, Internet Explorer, Blackberries, PSPS, Nintendo DS's, and other products because they have been shoved down people throats either by work, carriers, discounts, or by popularity. One example Windows it really doesn't that much great third party software but everyone uses it because it what you are trained to use at work and everyone is trained to know recognize and we have used it so much why we want to spend time to learn how to use another os when generally Unix based oses like Linux and Macintosh are generally more secure, more stable, and much cost less money. Blackberries your work probably gives one to you, your friend probably has one, and your carrier probably has a special discount on one. Internet Explorer you don't know that you could browse the web with other web browsers, you could use firefox or chrome, but it is the browser that comes with Windows so you use it. iPhone people buy them because there cool, there heard magical words like theres an app for that. So you see products become incredibly popular by being shoved down not by being better quality products or having more features or being more stable.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry, I seemed to have missed where this thread topic had anything to do with that.

I like Android much better than iOS and I won't own an iphone, but the truth is, if your grandma is getting a smartphone (mine can't even turn on a computer), then iOS is the simpler OS. That being said, if you have even an ounce of tech knowledge you wouldn't have a problem with Android, but I know a lot of people who are tech ******ed.

Everyone talks about this imaginary grandma. You don't pay all this money for an unlimited data plan if you just want to use it as a feature phone. You get a smartphone because you want to do more.
When Apple says iPhone has tons of apps, that makes the phone much more complex. They could have stuck with the original formula of safari and some other Apple apps and everything would be nice and simple. But people can handle complexity because they like lots of choices. They adapt. Look at the web: nobody follows any consistent HIG and yet websites are much more popular than native apps on the PC. Do you know anyone who still uses a native email client to check their email?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones