• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there really a need for 64GB?

egernant

Jun 30, 2010
It's the age of the cloud - music is streamed, videos are streamed, photos are uploaded, and as a more traditional gamer, I play games on my consoles, not my tablet. So why the need for a 64GB device? As a movie database? Maybe. So all of my music can be offline? I guess, but my phone already has that. Photos? Nope.

I'm looking at upgrading to a Pixel C and paying an additional $100 to move from 32GB to 64GB is lunacy. Don't let me make a short-sighted decision - what am I not considering? Why won't I be happy with 32GB version 2 years from now?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Even the Pixel C 32GB is $499. IMO that's a lot of money for a 10in tablet, although I'm not likely to be seeing this device anyway so it's kind of academic for me.

FWIW my own Windows 10 tablet is 32GB internal + 64GB SD, which cost me less than half of that. I stream a lot of music and videos, but only at home. Out and about and when travelling, it's got to be stored on the device for me.

Upvote 0
I prefer the cushion of a 64 GB device... Previously, I stored music on my device but I finally switched to streaming for that. But having a rooted device I store things like full image backups of the phone, app/app data backups, etc. and I usually keep quite a bit of games on my devices. All of that stuff can add up fast, especially the nandroid backups. Or occasionally I've used MultiROM and had up to 5 roms installed to my internal storage at once. I like not having to worry about running out of space. But that's me... Everyone has different needs. There's no right or wrong answer, but I agree that $100 for storage is ridiculous, though I opted for the 64 GB Pixel C.

Also, off topic, I installed the Android N preview on my Pixel C last night. It's pretty sexy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones