is this a defect?

Last Updated:

1. mshest

mshest Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

when i am holding the Droid properly to my ear and mouth I am being heard fine. if i move the Droid away from the side of my face about 3 inches.... or "god forbid" maybe leave the ear part next to my ear and move the mic part away so that the phone is now at a 45 degree angle from my face, the person on the other end says that they can barely hear me.

the speakerphone/mic works fine. the mic also works great when I am using headphones that do not have their own mic. this problem is just when i am using the phone as described above.

so is this a defect or is this how all your Droids are. I ask because this has never been a problem w/ other phones i've had and is not a problem on the Palm Pre that I also had recently.

Advertisement
  2. brnr17

brnr17 Well-Known Member

same thing happens to me

3. smittythepig

smittythepig Well-Known Member

droid seems to have a terrible time picking up sound. seems at this point it's notorious for it. my wife says i always sound horrible on the Droid. lots of other people seem to have this issue as well. not sure why it sucks so bad. getting a BT headset soon. hopefully that will be the end of the issue.

4. MonmouthDroid

MonmouthDroid Well-Known Member

My Droid does the exact same thing. Its super annoying.

5. Spike760

Spike760 Well-Known Member

I don't know if mine does that or not, but my girlfriend always thinks I pressed Mute, and then I look and it's not, but I found out that most of the time, I've switched to the phone tab or something, and if I go back to the normal during call screen it goes back to normal. It's actually pretty annoying, and probably my only complaint against the Droid.

6. N2o

N2o Active Member

Same with mine. I almost always use speaker now because I'm sick of people saying they cant hear me.

7. monsterenergy22

monsterenergy22 Well-Known Member

Same for me, is actually really annoying

8. mobrienjr

mobrienjr Well-Known Member

holding the mic up to your mouth works, do not move it too far away. I think any phone will have that issue

9. Christian&wu

Christian&wu Member

I think it is the problem of moto cristaltalk.

10. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

This has already been covered extensively. It's widely believed that the noise cancellation software and noise cancellation microphone (located on the back, center - top of the phone) are the culprit. People do find that once they are aware of where this other mic is, they realize that they had been blocking it with a case, their hand, finger, shoulder, etc, causing even worse sound.