Is this an issue?

Last Updated:

1. milellie111

milellie111 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Can someone help me out? It seems as if the buttons on my Droid light up randomly on the faceplate and physical keyboard.are they always supposed to stay lit while typing or playing around with the phone?the backlight comes on and off randomly.thanks

Advertisement
  2. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

I think that - if you don't touch the keys for a while - the light will go off. If it's happening while you're typing, that's kind of unusual.

3. Gunner

Gunner Well-Known Member

The soft keys on my phone randomly light up sometimes. Seems like usually it's after I've set the phone down and haven't used it for a couple minutes. They always go back off, tho.

4. milellie111

Yeah,as I'm typing this message now on my Droid,the keys didn't light up till like10 seconds after I type and then it will randomly just go off while I'm typing.

5. GDroid

GDroid Well-Known Member

If it's really bothering you try a battery pull and see if that corrects the issue.

6. milellie111

Ok, i tried a battery pull. When i press the power button to wake it up, unlock the phone and slide open the physical keyboard, aren't all my buttons supposed to light up immediately? This doesn't happen, they will light up maybe like 10 seconds later. I just tried that same process again and now they aren't lighting up at all even though i'm opening up apps and typing.

Is something wrong?

7. superdesi

superdesi Well-Known Member

This happens to me ALL THE TIME. my keyboard will randomly go in and out same with the faceplates. I've tried my best to reduce the issue by turning up brightness all the way. the face plate keys are okay now but the keyboard still goes in and out however, it does it with enough frequency that I can see the backlight when typing in the dark.

8. milellie111

Does this happen to everyone elses Droid or is it a faulty phone where i need to get an exchange?

9. opgarlic

opgarlic Member

this should be a feature....there are light sensors up by the earpeice. the light sensors are used to adjust the display brightness if you have that setting on. it also senses that if you are in a dark room and need the keyboard or soft keys to be lit, then it will turn them on. its kind of slow though.

it appears that the camera is also used as a light sensor for dimming display keyboard/soft keys...
    so some of you might be blocking and unblocking the sensors with your fingers when typing.

10. GDroid

GDroid Well-Known Member

This happens to me too. Sometimes, I'm in the dark with my phone, and the buttons are not lit! Not a big enough issue for me to return my Droid, especially when all else is well.