1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Is this an sd card slot?Support

1. PrinceCorwin

PrinceCorwin Well-Known Member

I have never used an sd card with my pc before but I now have to do something that involves my phone's micro sd card. Do I just buy a micro sd to sd adaptor and insert it into this slot? Sorry for the noob stuff but, hey, there's a first time for everything, right?

Attached Files:

Advertisement
    :
  2. ardchoille

ardchoille Well-Known Member

Yes, that is an SD card slot. You simply slide your micro sd card into the SD card adapter and slide the adapter into that slot. Your machine should treat the adapter as a normal SD card. This is how I transferred files from my phone to my netbook before cloud storage became available.

While you have that adapter in the laptop, go ahead and copy all of the files from it to your laptop for safekeeping.
    PrinceCorwin likes this.
  3. PrinceCorwin

Would you recommend that I use a microsd to sd adapter or a microsd to usb adapter?
  4. ardchoille

ardchoille Well-Known Member

I've used both and haven't seen an instance where either would be advantageous. I say use what you have until it no longer serves your purpose. I would think that keeping USB slots open on the laptop would be better than keeping SD card slots open, but that's just me.
    cac2us and PrinceCorwin like this.
  5. PrinceCorwin

I just got my sandisk 16 gb sd card and micro sd to sd adapter but when I plug it into the slot, nothing happens. Nothing shows up in windows explorer. Any suggestions?
  6. reeseboy

reeseboy Well-Known Member

Open device manager and scan for hardware changes.
    PrinceCorwin likes this.
  7. ortrigger

ortrigger Well-Known Member Contributor

If scanning for hardware changes doesn't fix it, try reinstalling the drivers for your sdcard reader.
    PrinceCorwin likes this.
  8. PrinceCorwin

Opened device manager... couldn't find option to scan for hardware changes.
    edit: nevermind, I found it. Can't tell if it accomplished anything
    reinstalled drivers. Now, when I insert the card, the compy makes that little "duh, duhm" sound like when I connect something via usb but nothing shows up in windows explorer
  9. reeseboy

Does it show up in device manager? What about in disk manager?
  10. ortrigger

ortrigger Well-Known Member Contributor

This. It should be showing up in the My Computer directory(?) [I've been using Linux as my main operating system for quite a while and, even though I've had to switch back to windows, the jargon is sticking with me.]
  11. PrinceCorwin

disc manager: no
    device manager: i think so (I see a memory card bus controller listed under PCMCIA adapters)
  12. PrinceCorwin

Just FYI... My laptop was originally an XP system. I added Win7. Would this cause some sort of conflict?
  13. reeseboy

I'm not sure card bus controller is it... unplug the card reader and see if that is still there or if it goes away.

And win 7 shouldn't be an issue...
  14. PrinceCorwin

I don't know how to unplug it... it's an internal slot (see OP)
  15. reeseboy

Lol oops... my bad. Any unknown devices listed?
  16. reeseboy

Another thought... Win 7 hides empty drives... maybe this is the issue?

Open Computer, click "Organize" and then select "Folder and Search Options".
    On the "View" tab, uncheck "Hide empty drives in the Computer folder".

... just a thought...
  17. PrinceCorwin

2 unknown devices listed.... don't know what they are. dissabled and reenabled them both to no avail. Unchecked "hide empty drives"... nothing happened. Like I said earlier, since I reinstalled the memory card drivers there is a sound "duh, duhm" from the computer when I insert the card, but nothing shows up in the directory tree. I have made sure the sd card adapter isn't locked. I'm out of ideas.
  18. PrinceCorwin

I think I found the problem by googling... my internal reader is only for sd, not sdhc. The 16gb micro sd card is too new to be read by my sd slot reader.

Thanx for the assistance. I guess I'll buy a usb card reader
  19. Yoinx

Yoinx Well-Known Member

Really?

It doesn't have on-board firmware that you can upgrade or anything?

Whats the model/manufacturer?
  20. PrinceCorwin

Actually I just tried it on a new laptop with same result. I think the card is bad. Going to return it
  21. PrinceCorwin

Bought a new external card reader and that worked. Now my nook has CM10. I have a noob question though... Should I install ROM Manager so that I can do a nandroid?
  22. bones420la

bones420la Well-Known Member

boot into the recovery. if your reboot option doesnt have reboot to recovery you could try any terminal emulator and enter without the quotes "su reboot recovery"

it should ask for root access and then reboot to whatever recovery you have. and choose backup from the list
    PrinceCorwin likes this.